• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
I have noticed for a while there is an accumulation of sawdust on and in various parts of my SuperNova2 chuck. Considering disassembling it for a thorough cleaning. Your experience and advice is most welcome. BTW, have an air compressor it that helps.

I always disassemble chucks when I get them, new or used, and clean with mineral spirits or naptha using a brass brush and paper shop towels and q tips as needed. I want all grease, oil, and rust preventive removed - they just collect dust. I then use Alox (cast bullet lube) rust preventive thinned down to coat everything and let dry. All friction surfaces get a good coating of paste wax, allowed to dry for 20-20 min while continuing to smear it around, then wipe off/lightly buff the wax. No rust problems and rarely need to disassemble to clean - just blow out accumulated dust once in a while.

I think the Nova chuck manual has step by step disassembly instructions.

I always disassemble chucks when I get them, new or used, and clean with mineral spirits or naptha using a brass brush and paper shop towels and q tips as needed. I want all grease, oil, and rust preventive removed - they just collect dust. I then use Alox (cast bullet lube) rust preventive thinned down to coat everything and let dry. All friction surfaces get a good coating of paste wax, allowed to dry for 20-20 min while continuing to smear it around, then wipe off/lightly buff the wax. No rust problems and rarely need to disassemble to clean - just blow out accumulated dust once in a while.

I think the Nova chuck manual has step by step disassembly instructions.
Thanks. Will check the instructions. T-shirt- "Real men don't read instructions." Yeh, right?

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I have noticed for a while there is an accumulation of sawdust on and in various parts of my SuperNova2 chuck. Considering disassembling it for a thorough cleaning. Your experience and advice is most welcome. BTW, have an air compressor it that helps.
I use compressed air to blow out the dust anytime I remove a chuck from the spindle ... and sometimes while still in use. This may be all the maintenance you will ever need. I don't believe I've ever disassembled a chuck in 30 years. See the thread below from several years ago.

https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/chuck-lubricant.11978/#post-112556

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! o_O

If the slides are moving freely, there is no need to clean it.

I'm now not using any lubricant on my chucks, and although it does go against my first inclination about it, no lube has been working out very well. My rule of thumb is to give the chuck a strong blast of air every time I dismount a turning. Any kind of lubricant will attract dust, and will eventually cause the slides to be sticky. I'm using my chucks daily, and it's been several years since the last time one of them needed disassembly for cleaning. Even then, I was still using a lubricant.

-----odie-----

Thanks to all. I'll use the air compressor as odie says. I'll use the time for something else.

I've found that a heavy application of WD40, then opening and closing the jaws several times does a good job. All my chucks, some 12 years old or more, work fine.

Back