• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck with backing plate mount?

I think I know the answer to my question, because I've already spent an embarrassingly large amount of time searching and have not found what I want, but.............. here it goes anyway...........

Does anybody know of a four jaw wood lathe chuck that has a backing plate mount instead of mounting on a threaded spindle?
Backing plate mount is common on metal lathes, instead of a threaded spindle nose, there is a flange on the spindle that a metal lathe chuck mounts on.

I want to build a lathe, but I'd prefer to mount my chuck via the backing plate method, just so you know what I'm up to.

Let me know if you've seen anybody else in the woodworking world do this, or am I the only goofball who insists on bucking conventional wisdom?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I've never seen the Steinert offerings before, at first glance it looks like they make about a damn fine lathe!
Having one of those in the shop would make me grin like a mad man.

That's an interesting design.
I'm not sure I see the advantage of the keyhole concept though, I guess it prevents losing the mounting cap screws.
You wouldn't have to fully remove them when removing the chuck.
But then it looks like they have a cross bolt set screw affair so you can reverse it without concerns of dislodging the cap screws.

Since you are making your own lathe, put a backing plate on the spindle, put 2 alignment dowel holes in the plate, make a matching dowelled plate with 1-1/4x8 threaded nose or whatever, make different thread sizes if you want. I suppose a tenon/mortise arrangement for cl alignment like above would also work. 3-4 bolts to hold it together. Best to have enough depth for an MT in the center. You need a through hole in the spindle for a knockout bar/ vac chuck.

Since you are making your own lathe, put a backing plate on the spindle, put 2 alignment dowel holes in the plate, make a matching dowelled plate with 1-1/4x8 threaded nose or whatever, make different thread sizes if you want. I suppose a tenon/mortise arrangement for cl alignment like above would also work. 3-4 bolts to hold it together. Best to have enough depth for an MT in the center. You need a through hole in the spindle for a knockout bar/ vac chuck.

Thanks Doug!
I'm leaning back towards just a threaded shaft again now. I wasn't sure if I had been overlooking other chuck options.
But now my other problem is my metal lathe doesn't have a big enough through bore, I might be able to us the one at work though.
I'm not looking forward to doing the morse tapers for the headstock and the quill. I'm more of a farmer level machinist than a tool and die level machinist, so I'm pretty slow at it.
I have a good chunk of the material on hand, I think I might have a 3 phase motor and a VFD even, but I'm still not fully convinced this is a road I want to go down.
Just because I can doesn't necessarily mean I should................

Back