1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Chuck Center Finder

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by Mark Jundanian, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    It's probably been done before, but I made this today to find the center of a piece while it's still on the chuck. I used the chuck adapter for the live center which has a fairly long 3/4" internal thread. Turned a dowel just big enough to fit within the threads and put a nail in the center of the end.
    20200822_1558171.jpg
    20200822_1558271.jpg

2. Tom Gall

Tom Gall

Location (City & State):
    Hillsborough, NJ
    This would only be helpful if you forgot to make a center divot when forming your recess or tenon. ;)
    I've never done that. :rolleyes:

3. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    Or if you inherit a project that has no center point ;).

4. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    Only if it has a tenon to mount chuck. I use this idea to mount face plate on center. Place the devise in face plate and stick it thru the faceplate into the premarked center (or mounting point) on the blank and put the screws in.

Mark Jundanian likes this.
  5. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    The simple and accurate method that I use is a 3/8" steel rod with a 60 degree point that has a cutting edge formed by a flat across the point.
    The rod does not fit tight but when pushed into the tenon wile turning will form an accurate center point.

Bill Boehme likes this.