1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Chris Ramsey's Bowl Bending Process

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by Chris Ramsey, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Chris Ramsey

Chris Ramsey

Location (City & State):
    Somerset, Kentucky
    In a recent post of mine entitled "On A Bender" @Don Wattenhofer has asked for some in process images.
    Th first image was taken fresh off of the lathe with the piece turned, sanded and a heavy coat of lacquer mixed 50%--50% with lacquer thinner. Brushing on the lacquer/thinner mixture insures the piece will not crack (if turned to a thickness of 1/2" or less) and it seals in the moisture. Sealing in the moisture is key to getting a piece to have an extreme bend. The brushed on lacquer significantly slows the drying time down of the piece and allows the time necessary for a controlled bend.

IMG_0747.jpg

The following image was taken when the piece was being bent with the use of a bar clamp and numerous rubber bands. Heat lamps were used to accelerate the bending process. This image was taken at 15 hours after being turned.

IMG_0763.jpg

2. Michael Lyle

Michael Lyle

Location (City & State):
    Bonney lake, Washington
    Wow pretty cool Chris!!!!!

Are you one of those clamp whisperers???

3. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    I should have looked at this before I tried it on my own, but my main concern was breaking the bark edge with all of those rubber bands.

4. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    This is my second attempt at bowl bending using black cherry about 8" diameter and a rotten pith stabilized with CA.The end to the right in the picture cracked near the rotten pith so it will probably not be a keeper, however it is good experience. All comments are welcome. DSC00507.JPG

5. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    DSC00517.JPG
    JUST OUT OF THE CLAMPS / bending jig - I think I need to use a longer log section to get a longer swiping curve.