• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chris Gern

Hello my name is Chris and I started turning because I needed something to take up my time because I was retired prematurely. You see I am a permanently disabled veteran and for me turning has become an outlet for me instead of constantly going to the VA to sit and talk. Turning has given me more peace and purpose then doing that. I learned to turn when I was a kid with my father and I also turned in shop class in high school. I decided to purchase a lathe back in June a Rikon 70-1218VS. I like the lathe and I have turned more bowls then I have pens since it's purchase. I found this forum because I like to get ideas and I would also like to share what I have made. I am also hoping someone may be able help me find a way or point me in the direction I need to go because I want to now get a Laguna 15/24 or 18/36 lathe and because I live on a fixed-income now I can't buy one outright and I want to expand my hobby into possibly starting to turn to make a little money. My wife thinks I could sell some of the things I make plus I think she is tired of seeing them all over the place LOL. Anyway I hope to get to know more ppl here.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Welcome, Chris.. Reading your post, I was like "feels like deja vue all over again" Except for the "Veteran" part (which I would be, but I couldn't get into the military due to disability) , sounds pretty much just like me.. only real problem is, around here,it seems like nobody really buys anything, they just sort of "rent" it... and that "cheap item" you sold them at a big discount is suddenly a "great item" worth twice as much when they go to sell it... so I've been exploring alternative markets to get my stuff to, to try and raise money for a better (just about anything would be better than a Harbor Freight) Lathe.. :)

Welcome to the forum and the world of turning. Check around for possible outlets for selling your projects. Be aware of tax responsibilities, etc.
FWIW, beware of consignment deals. Know of a fellow who put his products (not turnings) in a store on consignment. Store went broke and took this things without paying anything for them.

Back