• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chip Containment Curtains

I'm in the process of reorganizing my shop. I'd like to get some input about curtains to keep shavings from spreading around the shop when I turn. Specifically, what brands of hardware are you using to hang the curtains?

Below are some ways that I've seen posted over the years. Does anyone have experience with options 3 - 5 they can give feedback about? Are there other ways?
  1. String wire cable from wall to wall. Use shower curtain clips to hang the curtain. This is what I'm doing now. Biggest downside is that I can't turn a corner with the curtain, so I have three separate curtains on separate cables surrounding my lathe.
  2. Suspend electrical conduit and use shower curtain clips. Same downside as #1, can't turn corners.
  3. IKEA VIDGA Series https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/track-systems-18893/ Metal bracket mounts to ceiling. Curtains hang from clips that slide in the bracket. 90 degree bend pieces available, so you can go around corners. Mixed reviews, but seems like most problems are when people suspend them out from a wall, like traditional window curtain rods. They seem to work better when attached to a ceiling. I wonder how durable they would be in a shop environment and if the brackets would clog with shavings.
  4. Amazon has lots of flexible, ceiling mounted tracks like this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088D6WRK...olid=20DVJ5S9YJS3Y&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it Many reviewers gripe about the tracks retaining the shape from being rolled in a coil for shipping, so it's hart to install them in a straight line. Again, I wonder how durable they are in a shop environment.
  5. Tracks designed for commercial/hospital/RV applications. Lots of options out there. A couple that look interesting are
    1. Recmar 4108 - extruded aluminum i-beam shape that can be bent to 2" radius 90 degree turn by hand). Max 8' sections, can butt two together for longer runs
    2. Recmar 6100 - PVC i-beam shape with internal metal core, bendable, Bendable I-Beam Curtain Track. Available in custom lengths to 100 ft. Expensive! $7-12/ft depending on the grade.
I'd appreciate hearing ideas and opinions about what works. Again, I'm looking for a system that allows including a 90 degree corner.

Thanks,
Dave

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I have a piece of PVC pipe about 6' up with clear plastic walmart shower curtain and shower curtain rings along the side of my lathe. Protects the shelves to my left from chips. Total cost about $10. Can slide back and forth as needed. Easy to mount PVC to a wall or hang from ceiling and make a corner with elbows and fittings. Would of course have to have separate curtains for each section but no big deal I think. I want to add another but there is a garage door above my lathe that restricts attaching anything to the ceiling. I've considered putting one on rollers made from PVC but one more thing to be in the way when not in use. Funny how you learn over time that it's a big deal to organize around minimizing chip accumulation and cleanup anywhere but the floor.

I only need two curtains in my shop. The lathe is against the wall, and chips almost never go north over the headstock. I affix the plastic to the ceiling though some 1x2s, then roll them up by hand when not in use. I wrap a bungie around the roll to keep them up nice and tight to the ceiling joists. I'm kinda cheap that way, visqueen and some scrap 1x2s around a $6,000 lathe. Money priority there!

@Dave: When I got tired of my first attempt to fence in shavings, I went for your solution #3.
I have the IKEA Vigda system on three sides of my lathe.
It has taken a lot of shavings from rough turnings during the last six months with no signs of wear. I went for very cheap shower curtains reaching down to half a foot over the floor. That way airflow from large, turning pieces don't move the curtains, yet very little rubbish lands outside.
No trouble with the ceiling mounted railing at all since openings are facing downwards. Quite stable and runners move freely.

I use a couple pieces of metal conduit mounted at a right angle thru plywood brackets hung from the garage joists, and a couple of extra long heavy duty shower curtains hung with loops of ball chain. It's not sophisticated or elegant (and neither am I), but it works well and was economical. If I ever redo it, the only thing I'd change is too use a little longer loops and a little larger ball chain. The ball chain works well because it rolls and/or slides on the conduit easily. I bought a 48' spool of it with 30 connectors for $11.

My observation is that chips will land on the floor in front of the lathe. Curtain wouldn't be feasible.

Wasn't there a long thread on this subject a few months ago?
Good question. I did search the AAW and SMC forums before starting my thread. There was a thread from early December with the question "how far from my lathe should I hang the curtains?". Like most threads, the discussion wandered from the original question and had some suggestions on hardware for hanging the curtains.

That thread had lots of discussion around using wires or parachute cord to hang curtains (option 1 in my post) and around using electrical conduit or PVC pipe (option 2 in my post). Neither of those meets my needs since I want the curtain to be able to turn corners, (be able to surround three sides of my lathe with only one curtain).

One person in that thread mentioned using the IKEA tracks, but didn't give much input on how well they worked (Option 3). Someone else had seen the flexible tracks offered on Amazon (#4) but had no experience using them. So I do think there is new ground to cover on curtain tracks that allow pulling the curtain around corners.

Thanks to everyone who has given input so far.

I used the Ikea tracks and hardware in my last shop - worked fine, no problem with shavings. Had them on three sides of the lathe. A good solution. Just used 3mil clear visquene for the curtain - it lasts forever and is cut to floor length.
When we moved and I got to design a new shop from scratch, I put the lathe right at the front of the shop, just in front of the double bi-fold doors. The curtain is hung behind me on a cable that runs from wall to wall protecting the rest of the shop. I'm cheap, so the curtain is again just 3mil clear visquene that runs on shower curtain hooks. I needed to make a bend at the headstock end to protect a counter and wall shelves and just cut the visquene about 6' longer on that end and. Pull it across and up in front of the counter/shelves.

Dave, I was economical as well(Under $25) with a vinyl coated wire across the room tightened by a turnbuckle. Used the clear 3mil plastic curtain. It’s been up for 20 years and is positioned behind my back where most of the chips project. My cleanup is not a chore. You need to consider lighting and other accessories that may be suspended. I have an overhead winch, power feed, dust collection, compressed air and vacuum chuck feed from above. The wrap around curtain would not work for my situation.

My observation is that chips will land on the floor in front of the lathe. Curtain wouldn't be feasible.
I can't imagine how you can rough out the inside of the bowl and make the chips come out the front, through the bowl wall? I get curls hanging everywhere. Ever seen the professional turner John Jordan shoot the curls from the inside of the bowl out towards a garbage can?

FWIW, I don't worry about chips, sawdust, etc., as I vacuum the shop when done. Don't do bowls, at least for now. John Jordan has a lot more room than I have. A garbage can would take up a lot of floor space. Floor space is the only thing preventing buying a dust collector.

Thanks again everyone for the input. Good to hear a couple of positive reviews on the IKEA tracks. That's what I've decided to go with.

@Dave: One idea to consider: In my first try, I mounted one U-shaped track covering the three sides wanted.
Second time around, I used three straight lines instead with small dead ends sticking out of on both sides of the middle one. That way the curtain isn't one big lump when slided away be three smaller ones, that don't get in the way.
Hope, my explanition makes sense o_O

Thanks again everyone for the input. Good to hear a couple of positive reviews on the IKEA tracks. That's what I've decided to go with.
When I put it in the previous shop, the ceiling was just over 11' - I dropped down a piece of perforated angle steel at 9' from the floor to hold the track hardware. Worked great and left a couple of feet up high for wood storage.

Back