• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Carbide Bits

Hi, I'm looking for a rounded tip carbide bit for my full size Harrison Specialties Simple 55 Detailer diamond cutter.

Harrison Specialties don't sell it and when I asked they said that they don't know where to buy them.
I tried AZ and Capt'n Eddie but no luck.
Got any ideas.

Thanks,

James

Sorry, I don't have a suggestion. AZ would have been my recommendation and I am very surprised they don't make a replacement cutter. Is something going on at AZ (maybe Covid-19 related),or is this just the one cutter they don't make?

If you are unable to find replacements cutters and end up looking for another tool, I can tell you that Easy Woods does make handleless tools, including their diamond detailer (closer to 35*). These will fit the Harrison handle and hollowing rig, but the tools have to be purchased directly from Easy Wood, retailers don't carry them.

I don't know anything about the tools or insert cutters in question here. What you might do is to try metal working suppliers for inserts. Most anything you can imagine is available.

carbidedepot.com is one place that comes to mind. Be forewarned, trying to understand industrial insert terminology (the codes used to describe inserts like DCMT 32.5X, etc) will make you crazy. Most sellers have charts to aid you understanding what you need. It helps if you have a way to accurately measure your needed insert (by "accurately" I mean something way beyond a tape measure). Also keep in mind salespeople sometimes work on commission so spending time with a buyer of one or two inserts is their worst nightmare.

Back