1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Carbide Bits

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by James Humphries, Jun 22, 2020.

1. James Humphries

James Humphries

Hi, I'm looking for a rounded tip carbide bit for my full size Harrison Specialties Simple 55 Detailer diamond cutter.

Harrison Specialties don't sell it and when I asked they said that they don't know where to buy them.
    I tried AZ and Capt'n Eddie but no luck.
    Got any ideas.

Thanks,

James

2. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Sorry, I don't have a suggestion. AZ would have been my recommendation and I am very surprised they don't make a replacement cutter. Is something going on at AZ (maybe Covid-19 related),or is this just the one cutter they don't make?

If you are unable to find replacements cutters and end up looking for another tool, I can tell you that Easy Woods does make handleless tools, including their diamond detailer (closer to 35*). These will fit the Harrison handle and hollowing rig, but the tools have to be purchased directly from Easy Wood, retailers don't carry them.

3. James Humphries

James Humphries

AZ have some of the cutters but not all, thanks for the suggestion Mark.

4. Doug Rasmussen

Doug Rasmussen

I don't know anything about the tools or insert cutters in question here. What you might do is to try metal working suppliers for inserts. Most anything you can imagine is available.

carbidedepot.com is one place that comes to mind. Be forewarned, trying to understand industrial insert terminology (the codes used to describe inserts like DCMT 32.5X, etc) will make you crazy. Most sellers have charts to aid you understanding what you need. It helps if you have a way to accurately measure your needed insert (by "accurately" I mean something way beyond a tape measure). Also keep in mind salespeople sometimes work on commission so spending time with a buyer of one or two inserts is their worst nightmare.

5. Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Charles Cadenhead likes this.