• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Candlestick Drill

Woodworkers Supply used to carry a tapered drill matched to the taper on a candle. This was ideal for drilling the top of candlesticks. They seem to have discontinued this item and could offer no help in finding one. Does anyone know of a source for this tool?

I know that I can grind a spade bit to the correct taper, but this tool drilled a much cleaner hole in hardwoods.

Mike

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I imagine that they didn't sell very well because it is so easy to just use a spindle gouge to make a tapered hole. Or drill a straight hole and then taper the side. A twist drill that has a taper is more likely to walk than turning a clean hole.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Woodworkers supply no longer sells the candlestick drill bit. That's why I wrote an article about how to regrind a spade bit using a Dremel with a grinding bit and your wood lathe. It's in American Woodturner Vol 29 no4 page 18. The article is entitled Half ring candleholders. If your an AAW member you have electronic access to all the Journals and can look it up.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well spoon bits just drill a straight sided hole. They were designed to be able to start a hole at and angle and work really well for that. I have a few that I use for Windsor chairs. You can just drill a 3/4" hole for candles but the candle fits very sloppy and you almost need to melt some wax and put in the bottom before inserting the candle. They do sell tapered spoon bits also but the taper is wrong for a candle. The tapered bit that I make matches the taper of the candle base so the candle fits really good. I made the first one by just marking on the bit and grinding it as close as I could to the marks by hand. It chattered badly so I decided I needed a way to grind it very accurately. I rigged up a system on my metal lathe and it worked really well so I thought I wonder if I can rig up something on the wood lathe. That worked just as well although the size of the bit is not as accurate. However for holding a candle it really didn't need to be an exact size. The only thing that was critical was getting both sides of the bit ground to the same angle so the chatter was reduced.
If your not an AAW member you should consider it. You have access to all of the issues of American Woodturner which is a wonderful resource. I"ll be glad to mail you a copy of the article if your not a member, send me your snail mail address.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Wood does burn!

In my opinion any candle stick, candle holder design should include a metal of glass component that isolates a burnt down candle from the wood in the candle stick.

Buy the insert first then find a drill bit to work with the insert.

For a special effect,
cast inserts from pewter,
turn them from aluminum or brass.
Or beat copper into an insert

My 2 cents,

Have fun be safe
Al

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Al I've read the wood burns statement many times so one day I set up several of my smaller candle holders and let them burn until the candle went out. None of them caught fire. So I tried the same thing with a couple of spindle like candlesticks. No problem. Not saying it's impossible but I quit worrying about it after that. I think the more likely scenario is knocking a candlestick over or having curtains blow into the flame.

I imagine that they didn't sell very well because it is so easy to just use a spindle gouge to make a tapered hole.
That's true, but if you're turning a set or candelabra, anything more than one, it's much more efficient to use a bit designed for it.
Micheal, unfortunately this has become a specialty bit and almost impossible to find. Here is a link to a spade type bit designed for candles.
http://www.mhcrafters.com/servlet/the-2316/Candlestick-Bit-for-Wood/Detail
For hardwoods, as you mentioned, you might be better off drilling a straight 5/8" hole and using something like this. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=336-0010&PMPXNO=2611066&PARTPG=INLMK32
Good luck

That's true, but if you're turning a set or candelabra, anything more than one, it's much more efficient to use a bit designed for it.
Micheal, unfortunately this has become a specialty bit and almost impossible to find. Here is a link to a spade type bit designed for candles.
http://www.mhcrafters.com/servlet/the-2316/Candlestick-Bit-for-Wood/Detail

That bit you linked is rather large -- 28 mm (roughly 1 1/8") -- the usual tall table candles are roughly 3/4" or so at the base. 'Candle cups' on craft sites are mostly 7/8" diameter.

Wood does burn!

In my opinion any candle stick, candle holder design should include a metal of glass component that isolates a burnt down candle from the wood in the candle stick.

Buy the insert first then find a drill bit to work with the insert.

For a special effect,
cast inserts from pewter,
turn them from aluminum or brass.
Or beat copper into an insert

My 2 cents,

Have fun be safe
Al

You forgot 'Metal Spin' the cups on your wood lathe.

That bit you linked is rather large -- 28 mm (roughly 1 1/8") -- the usual tall table candles are roughly 3/4" or so at the base. 'Candle cups' on craft sites are mostly 7/8" diameter.
Yeah, sorry, that's for a tea lite.
The standard tapers (candles) are roughly 5/8" at the base increasing to approx 7/8" where the candle starts. It's about a 5 degree angle.

Back