• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Can you turn Sago Palm

Out this evening taking my daughter somewhere, and there was a Sago Palm cut into logs. Is it turnable? Also, so many people don't like to turn Oak, but that is 90% of the trees here in Central Florida. How bad is it to turn? What should I know if I intend to turn Oak?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Can't help much with the Palm. It is not wood. John Moscol does wonderful pieces out of palm. Try to catch one of his demos.

so many people don't like to turn Oak, but that is 90% of the trees here in Central Florida. How bad is it to turn? What should I know if I intend to turn Oak?

I turn oak often. Mostly for natural edge bowls. I like turning laurel oak and the live oak.
Limbs make nice thin stem goblets with NE rims.
For hollow forms and cut rim bowls oak is ok but I usually turn these from the other 10%: camphor, maple, cherry, Elm, holly, citrus, sweat gum, eucalyptus.....
It is hard to drive by a nice pile of fresh cut live oak without asking the homeowner for a piece or two,

Laurel oak
These are slides I use in a demo - working with green wood( did this at CFWT a few years ago)
the three example bowls near the end are laurel oak. As long as you get nice curves and even walls so the wood can move It will dry successfully
http://aaw.hockenbery.net/WORKING WITH green wood-HOcompressed.pdf

Live oak
This demo video -NE crotch bowl is done with Live oak. It turns nicely
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jVoI12Kfug

Last edited:
Oak does turn well, but there are exceptions. I have seen nice bowls in red oak but with the grain and the amount of movement you get there are better things to turn. White oaks of which live oak is one has an interlocking grain and will give some fantastic effects. Yes it moves too .
The second shows the amount of movement which turned this one into a football, but the grain popped out like it was woven so I just sanded a bit and left it that way.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I don't get to turn very much oak, because much of it that's available to me is very plain and straight grained. This one is the exception though......has some crotch figure in it. How come other turners don't like to turn oak very much? In my opinion, red and white oak turn very well, easy to turn. The only problem I see is the open grain. I don't usually bother to seal it, but there is a problem with that, should there ever be a spill.
1402 white oak crotch (6).JPG

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Kevin, When I don't know if a certain species is a good one to turn, I trying going at it with the sharpest tools I can and turn a few smaller thin bowls and then dry them quickly to see about warping, cracking, etc. A number of turners use a microwave to dry quickly, though I don't. I'll also try to do a small rough bowl and do what I can to get it dry quickly and then finish turn to see how it cuts, sands, and finishes.

I learned this the hard way. Is there any other way? When I first started turning seriously I was gifted a 36" diameter ornamental soft maple. I roughed several dozen bowls, including a couple dozen close to 16". As a new tuner it took me forever to rough all those bowls. After drying I ended up with a pile of football shaped extremely warped rough bowls. What was salvageable cut horribly and the finished color was a dull white. On the bright side, the bowls took on a fine golden color after a year. :cool:

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
How do you dry the wet wood after the rough turning? I found the time I tried it cracked badly.

Rich

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
How do you dry the wet wood after the rough turning? I found the time I tried it cracked badly.

Rich
The more you turn greenwood the more successful you will get at drying.

There is a thread on working with green wood has more details & videos of a demo
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/working-with-green-wood.11626/

From my observations new turners tend to loose lots of bowls to cracking and experienced turners almost never loose a bowl.
The reasons are new turners:
often start with older wood that has hidden cracks,
work slowly allowing the bowl to dry out on the lathe
don't turn even wall thickness
don't turn nice curves

All successful drying starts with the turning. Even wall thickness & flowing curves produce bowls that almost never crack because the wood can move as it dries.
Start with fresh cut wood that has no cracks,
Work relatively quickly, mist with water if you work slowly
Curves, even walls, control the drying.

I turn NE bowls 1/4" thick or less. Wash them off in the sink, put them in cardboard box, close the flaps. Next morning, open one flap, day 3 open both flaps, day 4 set on a shelf. Day five sand and finish or stack for finishing later. The box is a humidity chamber. This keeps the endgrain ends of the bowl moist while the long grain dries.

Bowls I will turn twice
My method is wash them off in the sink, towel,dry, put the bowl in a paper bag, put another paper bag over the opening to make a humidity chamber. Put the bag in a room kept at 50% relative humidity. Change the bags every day formdrynbag if they are damp. About 5 days on average. Then leave the bowl a bag for 4 months. Take out of the bags put on a shelf form2 months then check with moisture meter. When below 10% MC I return them.

Coating with anchor seal works great too. But it is messy and the bowls take months longer to dry.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Some Florida Oak pieces - these are just things I enjoy turning for fun.

Laurel oak 12" length IMG_1111.JPG

Partially finished bowls upper right laurel oak 15" length, Upper left laurel oak,
lower left Live oak, lower right roadside oak indeterminate species 10" length
IMG_1112.JPG

Small goblet about 7" tall live oak? This was turned at a sidewalk type demo. No sanding some parts are bit rough.
IMG_1118.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, and some examples of beautiful turned oak. I'm encouraged. I'll try turning some, since it's pretty plentiful.

Most palms will not turn wet. The binding "pulp" is just too spongy. Turning dry is problematic as well, but if you google Dewey Garrett, you'll see that he has some nice work where he wire brushes out the pulp and then dyes it.

Out this evening taking my daughter somewhere, and there was a Sago Palm cut into logs. Is it turnable? Also, so many people don't like to turn Oak, but that is 90% of the trees here in Central Florida. How bad is it to turn?

I'm not sure there is a direct correlation; I did try to turn coconut palm (huge trees here on our property on Maui). The results were not encouraging. While it did turn, as Richard mentions, the pulp is very spongy and fibrous. You might be able to do something if you use a wood stabilizer, but is it worth it? The resulting grain is rather boring, IMHO.

The other thing is that here in Hawaii, at least, the critters attack palm relentlessly. within a few weeks the logs I kept were disintegrating into a soggy mess. I imagine that the Florida climate and fauna are much the same.

Aloha
Ed

I never turned palm, it just doesn’t grow up here in Canada :).

Though Oak does grow here, several varieties in Red and also in White Oak, I do like the wood and the rays that can show in nice lines and curves.
White Oak.jpg White Oak end.jpg White Oak side.jpg
I have a small box I turned in Red Oak, better than 10 years ago, it has a “just tight” fitting lid and it stil is that anytime I have picked it up and marvel at it staying just like that, never moved, I guess the CA I used to seal the pores in the bottom part has something to do with it ;).
Red Oak box.jpg

Find the right pieces and it can be real show stoppers IMO.
Red Oak bowl.jpg Red Oak with copper.jpg

Back