1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forum migration is complete. We had some issues with the hosting provider and I had to restore the server a 2nd time so if you happened to post from about 9:30pm - 11pm PST your post may have been removed. Please double check to see if its still there. If you have any issues post them in the technical support forum or email the AAW Forum Staff at forum_moderator@aawforum.org. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CA dispensing

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Karl Best, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Karl Best

Karl Best

Location (City & State):
    Boyertown, Pennsylvania
    I'm assuming that most brands of CA glue are about the same. But what about the bottle/dispenser? I've started buying the tiny bottles because the spouts on even the medium size bottles get all gummed up or clogged before I can use the entire contents. We've got Stop Loss bags for finishes; what do we do for CA glue?

2. Kent Jaffrey

Kent Jaffrey

Location (City & State):
    Warrenton, Virginia
    If you buy star bond you often get extra caps. Then when one gets gummed up you can drop it in a bottle with acetone in it to dissolve the funk while you use the fresh cap on your bottle. After the acetone soak the funky one is good as new.

Mike Adams and Adam Cottrill like this.
  3. Ditto Kent. Works like a charm. - J

4. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    If you buy pints from Starbond you get both extra bottles and caps plus the micro applicator tips.

Sandy Jarrell and Bill Boehme like this.
  5. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Wipe the nozzle with a piece of coffee filter and acetone. If it gets plugged up, I use a small micro drill to ream out the old glue.

6. Larry Parker

Larry Parker

Location (City & State):
    Grottoes, VA
    Lyle Jamieson recently had a YouTube video where he claimed you can leave the caps off CA glue without any problems as long as you keep it away from the accelerator ❓❓❓

View: https://youtu.be/Sx8RaqeEjl0

7. Russell Nugent

Russell Nugent

Location (City & State):
    Bashaw, Alberta
    I don't cap mine, I just leave the micro tip on

8. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    I stopped putting caps on about 5 years ago and no problem as a result

Bill Boehme and Emiliano Achaval like this.
  9. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    Same as Gerald, I never use the caps. never have any problems.

10. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    What a simple solution for a self-created problem. And to think I’ve been fighting this for decades.

11. Dave Landers

Dave Landers

Location (City & State):
    Estes Park, CO
    Home Page:
    Me too - no caps. I have micro-tips on the thin, not on thicker (personal preference of how I use the CA). After use, I squeeze the bottle to get any excess out of the tip (either squeeze it out or suck it back down into the bottle, depending on what it wants to do).

Bill Boehme likes this.
  12. John Hicks

John Hicks

Location (City & State):
    Hoodsport, Washington
    If you leave the caps off just make sure and clear the tube or it will plug up for sure.

13. Roger Wiegand

Roger Wiegand

Location (City & State):
    Wayland, MA
    Home Page:
    Whenever I leave the cap off I have a plugged cap. Before I put the bottle down I squeeze it a couple of times in an upright position to make sure there's no glue in the tip, and wipe off any excess on the outside. At least 50% of the time when I go back the bottle is welded shut. I have a tiny drill in my foredom tool most of the time to re-open the tip. Wish I knew what you guys were doing differently! I'm using the Satellite City glue and bottles, but have also used Starbond.

14. Raif Harik

Raif Harik

Location (City & State):
    Austin, TX
    I'm with Roger. For a while I was using a little plastic pipette that would keep in a little bottle of acetone. I would dip that in the bottle of ca glue and when I was done I'd just rinse basically, suck up and spit out the acetone a few times and then leave it in there. Not sure why I stopped that actually.

15. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    Like Dave and John said .Another thing to try is tap the bottle on a hard surface a few times then squeeze to see if tube is clear.. If not try the tap again.

16. Dave Bunge

Dave Bunge

Location (City & State):
    Midland, MI
    I also use Starbond, with microtips on the thinner viscosities, never use a cap, try to remember to clear the nozzle when I'm finished using it. Occasionally the nozzles will plug. I have accumulated enough extra tips and nozzles that I just throw the plugged one away.

I store bottles that I don't use as often in a jar with desiccant. Moisture is involved with the curing mechanism, so a drier atmosphere should help extend the shelf life. Sam's Club sells Jif peanut butter in tall jars. I use them since the CA bottles will fit even with the microtips attached.

Bill Boehme likes this.
  17. Michael Lyle

Michael Lyle

Location (City & State):
    Bonney lake, Washington
    Cool

We dont need no stinking caps!!!!!

18. Michael Lyle

Michael Lyle

Location (City & State):
    Bonney lake, Washington
    great idea i just figured out this year....

open caps on CA bottles

best thing that happened this year!!!!!

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  19. Michael Lyle

Michael Lyle

Location (City & State):
    Bonney lake, Washington
    I read somewhere that CA can/should be stored refrigerated

I have been refrigerating for bout a year...no probs