1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Burl bottle stoppers with glued in dowels

Discussion in 'Marketplace Archives' started by Neal DeVore, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neal DeVore

Neal DeVore

Location (City & State):
    Lincoln, California
    Trying to clean out inventory. Burl bottle stopper blanks with 3/8" dowels glued in. Species include buckeye with grey color, maple, redwood, walnut and other burl. Sizes are 1 1/2 to 2" x 1 1/2. I have supplied major napa winery for years, but getting out of business. All you need is to provide the drilled out cork.
    Send check for $33 for a box of 50 blanks to Neal DeVore, 876 Wildomar Lane, Lincoln, Ca 95648 and notify me of your shipping address and out will go a USPS priority box. I won't wait til check arrives. For CC call 916 253 7208 and add $4 for extra charge.

Attached Files:

2. Karl Loeblein

Karl Loeblein

Location (City & State):
    Millington, TN
    Neal, Just curious why got out of the bottle stopper business because you have the best place for it. Was it due to lack of sales or too little profit?

3. Neal DeVore

Neal DeVore

Location (City & State):
    Lincoln, California
    I was supplying a major winery in Napa and they switched their buyer and I lost the business. I still make stoppers, but a lot less and I have over 500 setups. Cost of dowels and corks are negligible, and my burl scraps come my n/e bowls and salad bowl offcuts

4. Damon McLaughlin

Damon McLaughlin

Location (City & State):
    Eastern Washington
    Neal, the box of bottle stopper blanks arrived today and I must admit, it is not what we expected. Most of the blanks are less than 1-1/2", many are 1" and some are just 1" cubes. The dowels are in crooked so by the time the some of the blanks would be roughed it would only be a half inch diameter. Not what we were expecting on our end. I would guess that less than half are usable at best.

5. Neal DeVore

Neal DeVore

Location (City & State):
    Lincoln, California
    Damon:
    I have been supplying Robert Mondavi, major winery in Napa for 10 years using the exactly the same pieces I supplied you. However, i will send you some new stock if you will provide address. All will be w/o dowels. No charge.
    Neal DeVore

6. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    This is the reason why we highly encourage a picture of exactly what you are selling. Neil, please start another thread if you have any of this left to sell. Provide a clear picture of what you are selling. One box at the time. This thread will be close in 2 days. @Bill Boehme

Damon McLaughlin likes this.
  7. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    I'll have to admit that a picture of a cardboard box would be a discouragement for me because I like to see the actual product. I support what Emiliano says ... A separate ad for each box AND one or more photos showing all of the actual pieces WITHOUT the cardboard box.

8. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Location (City & State):
    Nebraska
    A picture showing the product and the description states a box with 50 blanks????

9. Damon McLaughlin

Damon McLaughlin

Location (City & State):
    Eastern Washington
    I don't know if it matters or not but I would be happy to post a picture of what was actually received. I'm out of town taking care of my grandmother but have a friend bringing me the box on Thursday, can take pictures then. If its even necessary.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  10. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    I don't think that's necessary at this point. It's a good example of why it's important for the buyer and seller to make sure that they're on the same page.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  11. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    @Neal DeVore Thread is going to be close today. Please repost as asked, one box per ad, clear pictures of what you include in the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.