• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Building a shop

I have read some very disturbing descriptions of of construction projects. In last one the contractor changed the spec and design. If the original plans were submitted to the building dept., and the permit granted based on the original design, the building inspector could stop the project because what he is looking at and the plans don't match.

I was a general contractor for 45 years. ( retired in 2009 ). In that time I built 310 house plus commercial and industrial buildings.

This is a turning site so I will stop here. If the members and the moderators want a detailed list of the steps to take before starting a shop, I would be happy to expand this post. The way most people go about doing a project insures heart ache and wasted money

Very kind offer, Paul. I'm tinkering with the thought of maybe building my own turning shop and I would certainly appreciate any advice on doing so from a fellow turner. I'm just now in the process of putting down my thoughts/requirements and gathering inputs from about any source out there.

Back