• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Brian Gustin

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Greetings from the Backwoods of Pennsylvania (Also known as Potter County, PA) I first turned on a lathe just about 40 years ago in High school wood shop (AKA Industrial Arts) but moved on to a wide and varying career in mechanics and computers until middle of 2020.. For want of something to do, and having space in a garage, I went and set up a small wood shop... First project - building a new door panel for the overhead door... shortly after that I found a used Harbor Freight lathe and bought it- It came with a off-brand scroll chuck (which I now recognize as one way style) and a bunch of badly bent up "cheapie" turning tools.. It was immediately obvious the prior owner had been trying to turn bowls with the spindle gouges (and it appears, a skew!?) judging by the condition of the tools.. I have spent the last several months "remembering" how to turn stuff on a lathe (among other wood working skills) and my first "somewhat better quality" tool purchase was a 1/2" bowl gouge... and been practicing ever since (and the practice will never end!) Ive turned about 15 or 20 bowls so far with continually improving results, and all sorts of spindle work (shop made stool, small boxes, stick pens, mortar & pestle, etc) I count myself as lucky to be friends with several "tree guys" and lots of loggers, so I have not had any shortage of wood... I'm usually the quiet one that sits in the back and just soaks up whatever I can learn.. so my posts here may be few and far between...

Back