• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Brand New Laguna REVO 18|36 1.5HP 110V Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I had mentioned buying a new lathe in one of my posts non related so I figured I would properly post the question here and see if I can get a little help with my new purchase? I just want to make sure I'm getting what I need and not accidentally missing something. I already started my cancer related treatments so I'm mentally and physically fatigued right now and would appreciate any help, if you don't mind of coarse?

I want to buy a Laguna REVO 18|36 1.5HP 110V Wood Lathe. I think all I would really need for accessories would be a light or two, and I would want the tailstock to swing out of the way so I could bring the headstock all the way forward for working on bowls and boxes? I had picked out a 12" extension which I thought I needed to make this work, but I was told by someone that I didn't need this? This is why I'm also looking for a dealer to order this from Online? Doesn't have to be a local dealer considering it will be online, but I would like the dealer to know what they are talking about if I need some help. I called a local dealer to Massachusetts today and lets just say I didn't get that warm and fuzzy feeling.

I have to choose a dealer for this because Laguna requires it, so If anyone has any insight, all the help would be greatly appreciated! I will put a link to all that I think I need to get this done. Thank you in advance for any help, always appreciated!

Thanks,
Dylan

https://lagunatools.com/classic-machinery/wood-lathe-machines/revo-1836-lathe-110-volt/
https://lagunatools.com/accessories/lathe-accessories/revo-lathe-accessories/swing-away-extension/
https://lagunatools.com/accessories/bandsaw-accessories/bandsaw-lights/110v-halogen-light/

Hi Dylan,

I own an 18/36. I did not purchase the lights that Laguna sells as I understand their reach is a little limited. I may be mistaken. I also felt $150 for those lights was a bit steep. I found an led alternative.

I pull the tailstock off regularly and have a piece of carpet I lay it on to protect it. The swing away device does not require the extension. The extension is just that, an extension for overall spindle work or it can be mounted lower to achieve a larger swing capacity for larger pieces such as platters.

There's usually a 10% off sale twice a year on Laguna tools. I believe I purchased from Woodcraft during one of those sales.

You may also get a better response if this were posted in the general turning forum.

Dylan,
I also purchased my Revo 1836 from Woodcraft because they have a store close to my home. That said, perhaps you should call the folks at Craft Supply. Those guys are real woodturners and I have found them extremely helpful for some purchases I made through their store.

Hi Dylan,

I own an 18/36. I did not purchase the lights that Laguna sells as I understand their reach is a little limited. I may be mistaken. I also felt $150 for those lights was a bit steep. I found an led alternative.

I pull the tailstock off regularly and have a piece of carpet I lay it on to protect it. The swing away device does not require the extension. The extension is just that, an extension for overall spindle work or it can be mounted lower to achieve a larger swing capacity for larger pieces such as platters.

There's usually a 10% off sale twice a year on Laguna tools. I believe I purchased from Woodcraft during one of those sales.

You may also get a better response if this were posted in the general turning forum.
Hi Daniel, thank you very much for the reply! The lights are expensive, especially since LED have come so far now and are fairly cheap. Thank you for the clarification on the swing away tailstock, I was a little confused about that for some reason?! I really wish I could wait for a sale, but this is pretty time sensitive so I won't mind paying the full price, but thanks for that tip! That could definitely help someone else out for sure.

Thanks again for the reply and have a great night!
Dylan

Dylan,
I also purchased my Revo 1836 from Woodcraft because they have a store close to my home. That said, perhaps you should call the folks at Craft Supply. Those guys are real woodturners and I have found them extremely helpful for some purchases I made through their store.

EDIT: Craft Supply doesn't carry the Laguna line of lathes. But they do carry Robust which is my dream lathe that I could never afford!! :D:D

Ahhh, I forgot about Craft Supply? I'm wondering why they didn't come up as a participating dealer? I will definitely check them out for sure, I've had good luck with them in the past.

Thanks again Jon and take care,
Dylan

Dylan,

I really like doing business with the Woodcraft in Portsmouth NH. It’s not too far from you in Auburn. Maybe a 90 minute drive? I have made several trips up there from Boston. (Used to live in Worcester) The staff at that store have gone above and beyond when I had an issue with my Laguna bandsaw. No sales tax as well in NH. They may have one in stock, and if not, they can order it for you and there is no shipping fee if shipped to their store. You can do the whole purchase over the phone and only need to drive up there to pick it up when it arrives.

I promise I have no connection to woodcraft.

Dylan,

I really like doing business with the Woodcraft in Portsmouth NH. It’s not too far from you in Auburn. Maybe a 90 minute drive? I have made several trips up there from Boston. (Used to live in Worcester) The staff at that store have gone above and beyond when I had an issue with my Laguna bandsaw. No sales tax as well in NH. They may have one in stock, and if not, they can order it for you and there is no shipping fee if shipped to their store. You can do the whole purchase over the phone and only need to drive up there to pick it up when it arrives.

I promise I have no connection to woodcraft.
Hey there Mark,

Thank you very much for the reply, I will head over to their website now and get everything rolling and probably follow up with a phone call tomorrow to see how quickly I can get this lathe in my cellar! I would probably think they would drop ship from their factory in CA, especially if I get a few of the options? I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of weeks for the perfect lathe anyway. I'm sure they will liftgate the lathe right onto my driveway where me and my sons will be waiting to bring it in! Unfortunately I can't drive long distances, or really drive at all during this time, so delivery is the only way I can accept this. I just wanted a local, or semi-local store incase I have questions or need to talk to a decent person. That's worth it's weight in gold!

Thanks again Mark, I really do appreciate your time and your reply! I'll post some pictures when I get it all up and running. Have a great night my friend!
Best Regards,
Dylan

@Dylan Skeean , how are you doing on this purchase project?
Hello Mark, yes it went well for me. The lathe should be hitting the trucking company for shipping pretty soon? I'm hoping today or maybe tomorrow? It left CA Monday morning but I have no way of tracking the lathe right now. The trucking company will call to schedule a drop-off. The accessories I bought will be here tomorrow but those shipped from SC. I will post some pictures when it arrives, although I will probably start a new thread for that?

Dylan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back