• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bottoms in segmented turnings

Maybe I am being over critical but when I see a segmented piece and all of the time involved to produce it, then I look at the bottom and that piece of board seams out of place especially if it flairs out and shows inside and out. The latest post into the gallery shows a beautiful open segmented bowl with with a nice clean form in the outside view, but then the inside view shows that unsegmented board in the bottom.

Note: I don't mean to offend anyone, just pointing out an
inconsistency.

Maybe I am being over critical but when I see a segmented piece and all of the time involved to produce it, then I look at the bottom and that piece of board seams out of place especially if it flairs out and shows inside and out. The latest post into the gallery shows a beautiful open segmented bowl with with a nice clean form in the outside view, but then the inside view shows that unsegmented board in the bottom.

Note: I don't mean to offend anyone, just pointing out an
inconsistency.
If I post something online, it is open to any and all comments. The constructive comments do more for me than someone simply saying “nice job” or “it’s garbage”. Tell me what you like or hate about it. That’s how progress is made. If all I wanted to hear was pleasant comments, I’d only show my work to my mom.
As far as segmented pieces, I 100% agree with you. It’s like a perfect choir singing in harmony and then your eyes get to the bottom and it’s nails against a chalkboard.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
But if you do a pie shaped segment on the bottom it will blow up. That does not look better than a solid bottom that does not break. Really its only a problem on pieces that have a large flat bottom. On 3" bottoms you really dont have enough wood movement to be a problem. When you have a bottom that is 6" you start to get a fair amount of movement and need to take.this into account.

But if you do a pie shaped segment on the bottom it will blow up. That does not look better than a solid bottom that does not break. Really its only a problem on pieces that have a large flat bottom. On 3" bottoms you really dont have enough wood movement to be a problem. When you have a bottom that is 6" you start to get a fair amount of movement and need to take.this into account.
If by pie shaped you mean that the grain of the segments is radial to the assembled bottom then yes you will have a problem. The segmented pieces that I am referring to have all of the segments with the grain direction running tangentially and that can be applied to the bottom just by cutting the segments form a wider board. Example: 2 1/2" wide board segments cut with the small or inside edge about 1/4" will give a ring of almost 6" and the center hole can be filled with an end grain tapered plug.

Back