• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Board Election Results

Congratulations to Tom Wirsing (re-elected for a 2nd term), Stan Wellborn and Botho von Hampeln for their election to the AAW Board of Directors. Each of these volunteers will serve a three-year term, beginning January 1, 2011.

Handling of all membership votes and tabulation of those votes was managed by an independent audit firm.

Ed, do you know when or if the total votes cast and received will be posted?

Stuart, those totals have never been posted, at least not as far back as I have been a member.

I suspect it is, or was reasoned, so as not to embarrass anyone willing to volunteer to be a director. Another possibility is not to have to admit that fewer than a small very percentage of the membership bother to vote.

Stuart, those totals have never been posted, at least not as far back as I have been a member.

I suspect it is, or was reasoned, so as not to embarrass anyone willing to volunteer to be a director. Another possibility is not to have to admit that fewer than a small very percentage of the membership bother to vote.

Got an e-mail from a member asking me if it was true that IRS had "rules" that required 501c(3) not-for-profits to publish their election results beyond who won.

The simple answer is "No."

The better answer is that there are no Federal (including IRS) rules covering conduct of not-for-profits other than compliance with tax issues and the prohibition on public charities being involved in political activities etm.

Thanks Mark. I was going cross eyed trying to find something that actually said anything about about 501c(3) and what could and couldn't be done. Everything I came up with seems to say if other than IRS and politics it is whatever the bylaws say which can be very broad.

Thanks Mark. I was going cross eyed trying to find something that actually said anything about about 501c(3) and what could and couldn't be done. Everything I came up with seems to say if other than IRS and politics it is whatever the bylaws say which can be very broad.

I think many people conflate Open Meeting statutes that can have an impact on governance of public charities (that may receive substantial amounts of government funding) with essentially "semi-private" not-for-profits like the AAW.

Got an e-mail from a member asking me if it was true that IRS had "rules" that required 501c(3) not-for-profits to publish their election results beyond who won.

The simple answer is "No."

The better answer is that there are no Federal (including IRS) rules covering conduct of not-for-profits other than compliance with tax issues and the prohibition on public charities being involved in political activities etm.

Mark, I never gave the not-for-profits rules any consideration in not having the rules posted. I asked a director once at a symposium, don't remember which(symposium or director), about the totals not being published. The answer was "Ya know we just never have, I don't think that there is a reason one way or the other." I chalked up to not being that important in the whole scheme of things.

Importance

Mark, I never gave the not-for-profits rules any consideration in not having the rules posted. I asked a director once at a symposium, don't remember which(symposium or director), about the totals not being published. The answer was "Ya know we just never have, I don't think that there is a reason one way or the other." I chalked up to not being that important in the whole scheme of things.

I tend to agree that beyond personal curiosity, the information is of little significance except to the few unelected candidates who might wish to run again and would like to gauge their chances. In a six-way race for three seats, it's not like there'll be recounts and special run-offs.;)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I tend to agree that beyond personal curiosity, the information is of little significance except to the few unelected candidates who might wish to run again and would like to gauge their chances. In a six-way race for three seats, it's not like there'll be recounts and special run-offs.;)

My feeling it is a binary result all elected are equal all non elected are equal.

"run-off" sparks a question.

How would the AAW resolve a tie???
While this may never happen There should be a plan.

Maybe a tie breaker should be incorporated into the bylaw re-write

worst case is a 6 way tie for first so the tie breaker could address multiple ties. A tie for third may actually happen. It would be nice to have a codified method of resolving the tie.

two possible tie breakers a coin flip.... or longest AAW member...

happy turning
Al

Tiebreaker

"run-off" sparks a question.

How would the AAW resolve a tie???
While this may never happen There should be a plan.

A. Size matters - guy with the biggest . . . lathe wins?

B. Steel cage MMA match at the next symposium with EOG selling tickets?

C. A Double Jeopardy round based upon obscure references to AAW history?

[Special run-off for 3rd place would be required. Tie at top means two seats filled and other seat goes to next in line, etm.]

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
A. Size matters - guy with the biggest . . . lathe wins?

B. Steel cage MMA match at the next symposium with EOG selling tickets?

C. A Double Jeopardy round based upon obscure references to AAW history?

[Special run-off for 3rd place would be required. Tie at top means two seats filled and other seat goes to next in line, etm.]

How about us judging their turnings?

Back