• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bishopwood burl

Looks like you could make a perfect sphere out of that burl. You never know what you will run into when cutting into a burl. Some people will cut it in half and get a better idea of the condition of the burl wood inside. With two halves you could make two bowls or cut it into smaller pieces for smaller items. Take your time and look at burl wood pieces on Google image page and you might get some ideas for the whole burl.

Looks like you could make a perfect sphere out of that burl. You never know what you will run into when cutting into a burl. Some people will cut it in half and get a better idea of the condition of the burl wood inside. With two halves you could make two bowls or cut it into smaller pieces for smaller items. Take your time and look at burl wood pieces on Google image page and you might get some ideas for the whole burl.
I am pretty familiar with what they look like. I have turned small ones but came across this one for free when I picked up some mahogany and mango last night. I am hesitant to cut it knowing that turned whole it could be spectacular.

Looks like 2 burls with that seam showing on top. Hope you have a bigger lathe with variable speed to put that on!

Sadly no I am currently limited to a Jet 1014 belt drive. I will be lathe shopping after Christmas and my hunting lease is paid up in January.

I am pretty familiar with what they look like. I have turned small ones but came across this one for free when I picked up some mahogany and mango last night. I am hesitant to cut it knowing that turned whole it could be spectacular.
Sadly no I am currently limited to a Jet 1014 belt drive. I will be lathe shopping after Christmas and my hunting lease is paid up in January.
I would suggest waiting until you've got that larger lathe. Then you will have the full range of options.

Personally, I like the chance of a spectacular big bowl when I get a big burl, but my best turning friend prefers to cut into smaller pieces which sell better at the gallery. Hollow form turners generally seem to be able to see the pieces they can make by cutting them up, except for those less common hollow form turners who like really big pieces and will use them whole. You pays your nickel and you takes your chance. Good luck, I envy you.

Is the apparent flat spot against the lathe ways the only cut off point? If so it may be a grow over from a branch that died or was cut off. The cutoff point may provide a window to the condition of the internal wood. I have turned grow overs into ornaments and small hollow forms and they do have grain similar to a burl. I have found usable ones on American Hornbeam (locally known as Iron Wood) and maple, but I am unfamiliar with Bishopwood or if it wood have grow overs.

Back