• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Best/easiest epoxy finish techniques

Hi, I posted about making a vase water tight and folks suggest epoxy which got me looking.
Looks like a pretty slow and yucky process. If you did a lot you'd want to be all set up.
My shop... Is basically a wood chips filled lean-to. I don't have room for an elaborate set up and I'm not getting this stuff all over my lathe.
I saw one dude who had set up a system to slow turn, like a rotisserie chicken the piece after applying. Cool but so much infrastructure.
I'm aware that I'm asking for a no mess, no setup, instantly drying one coat epoxy. But I'll ask any way :)
I guess I'm just wondering what if any simple set up systems people have come up with.
Thanks

Na, that's part of it. It only dries when you get it on the piece. Like, maybe a magic word or wave a wand? That's not too much is it?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If you have a BBQ rotisserie motor they work well for turning a base.

a plastic trash bag will protect the area under the piece.

If you checked out the video by John Williams, give him a call.
He is easy to talk to and knows more about epoxy finishing than anyone I know

NOTE: Always have plenty of rubbing alcohol and paper towels right at hand when working with epoxy. Do this when the temperature is around 75 +/- 5 degrees F.

No Tech epoxy coating
15 minute epoxy from the hardware store in 2-4 oz. of each size
Nuke in the microwave for 10-15 SECONDS, epoxy should be warm and not hot when removed. It'll be like maple syrup or thinner.
Mix equal parts by volume of each in a small solo cup (2 silicone free syringes work well for measuring, John T. gets them at Tractor Supply)
Stir thoroughly for 45 seconds, trying to avoid putting in bubbles.
Pour into vase enough epoxy to coat thinly
Holding vase in hands, swirl around to get a uniform coating, use stirring stick near rim
(If you've grossly over estimated, you may have to wipe or pour out the excess)
When inside fully coated with minimal excess, lay vase on side on top of wax paper (on kitchen counter or table when your spouse is at the grocery:rolleyes:)
Roll back and forth, at least a full revolution, until reasonably set (use stirring stick in solo cup to tell when it's fairly set--the stick will stand straight up)

Depending on the shape of the vase, you may need a board or support under a narrow section to keep the axis near horizontal while rolling.
At 75 degrees, this should take less than 30 minutes total. Good luck.

Great explanation. Thank you. But 75 degrees? Seriously? I think there is one week a year that it's 75 degrees here. All this week or longer it's been 103 +-2. Brutal. Hopefully the heat won't be too much of a problem.
Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
this week or longer it's been 103 +-2. Brutal. Hopefully the heat won't be too much of a problem.

not sure if it fits your work schedule but it is usually coolest in the early morning and pre dawn.

here is sunny Florida we don’t get above 95 in the summer but every night we get to 74-75.

:). I’ve been to Austin and You have night just like we have here :)
I think you get in the mid 70s at night.

We watched the Bat flight from the bridge when it was over a hundred. Fairly pleasant at dusk

Well, you're right. Except about the pleasant part :). It's in the 70's technically, between 2AM and 8AM. Back in my drinking days ( last week. jk ) those were my drinking hours. But these days they are def my sleeping hours :).
I don't have any indoors. especially not for the likes of epoxy. I'lly try one or two outside in hades, then I"ll know better the amount of mess, smell and time that is involved, and whether the heat kills it.
Thanks for all the help folks. Any particular favorites as far as brands?

Here is the easiest but not the cheapest to coat the inside.Alumilite sells a uv resin called Alumi-UV.Coat the inside with the resin and use a uv flashlight to cure it .Cures in a few seconds.The downside is a quart is $90.Works great though.

Ladies and gentlemen. Here it is. No clearer case. Ask for what you want. No matter how absurd. For you may indeed get it, but only if you ask.
Allow me to quote myself "I'm aware that I'm asking for a no mess, no setup, instantly drying one coat epoxy. But I'll ask any way :)"
Guy, have you used this stuff? Can you share some advice? If I were to start with the small container would that be enough for one or two vases, idk maybe 8" high? What kind of light do you use for the inside of the a vase? Do you need/would you want to thin it? Does heating it up cause it to thin like epoxies? Anything else I need to know before diving in?
Thanks again fairy god mother.
Raif

I use a uv flashlight my buddy got from Amazon.I have never thinned it or heated it.The 2 lb container contains 32 ounces and breaks down to a cost of $2.81 per ounce.The quarter pound container is only 4 ounces and breaks down to a cost of $4.75 per ounce.Shelf live is 1 year.I buy it by the 2 pound size because I save $2 per ounce and I don't like running out halfway through a project.Works great for stone inlays.

This sounds like it might be similar to a particular, unique fishing wader repair material. If so, sunlight would activate it, and as we have previously discussed, you have plenty of that. (obviously, sunlight contains UV rays) The wader repair stuff cures in seconds.

Hi, I posted about making a vase water tight and folks suggest epoxy which got me looking.
Looks like a pretty slow and yucky process. If you did a lot you'd want to be all set up.
My shop... Is basically a wood chips filled lean-to. I don't have room for an elaborate set up and I'm not getting this stuff all over my lathe.
I saw one dude who had set up a system to slow turn, like a rotisserie chicken the piece after applying. Cool but so much infrastructure.
I'm aware that I'm asking for a no mess, no setup, instantly drying one coat epoxy. But I'll ask any way :)
I guess I'm just wondering what if any simple set up systems people have come up with.
Thanks
Maybe this https://buy.getbondic.io/GSRCH/AU/v...MI5emp-6K26wIVQ6WWCh1HqQ87EAAYASAAEgJoJ_D_BwE
set off by light

Hughie holly molly! that's some space age stuff! Not sure it'll serve this purpose but it's pretty cool.
So I have decided to order some Solarez, two different products. They are UV light curable so I ordered a uv light. they cost $30 a pint rather that $99 a pint from alumilite. We'll have to see how it goes. It's supposed to cure in like 10 seconds with UV light. I wonder about how to get the UV light on all parts of the inside of a vessel, so I ordered a ... well they call it a corn bulb. I'm thinking I can insert it into the vessel to get light on all parts.
I'll make a post on my experience when this all goes down.
R

Back