• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

bedway work table.....quick and easy.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Odie's crazy idea #1

I just thought I'd show you my little bedway work table. Its such a handy little work station.....I use it all the time. Made from a scrap piece of plywood and a 2x4 ripped to the proper width to fit between the bedways. It hangs on a nail behind the lathe, so it's quick to come into play. I always use it while sanding and applying a finish......keeps excess finish from dripping onto the bedways, too!

It can be made in about 15 minutes, or so. Attach the plywood to the 2x4 with a few wood screws. Holes drilled in the plywood would be optional.....I find the holes handy for storing sanding disc holders, screwdrivers, chuck keys.....whatever....small things that might end up on the floor otherwise.

....otis

BTW: This is "Odie's crazy idea #1"

Attachments

• lathe accessory table (2).jpg
    lathe accessory table (2).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 917
  • Sioux angle head sander [2].jpg
    Sioux angle head sander [2].jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 913
Last edited:
Excellent improvement over my "method" of just setting a piece of plywood on the bed. Also handy for changing chuck jaws, storing successive sandpaper strips, can of paste wax, etc. I'm thinking a sort of cam lock or internal spring clamp between the rails would be a helpful added improvement - chucks can be relatively heavy, and it's no fun when the whole affair tips over and the little screws go thataway, even if you change them one at a time.

Joe

I made the same thing out of 1/2 plywood I had haning around. I put low 1" sides and an end on mine so the tools would not roll off.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Joe Greiner said:
Excellent improvement over my "method" of just setting a piece of plywood on the bed. Also handy for changing chuck jaws, storing successive sandpaper strips, can of paste wax, etc. I'm thinking a sort of cam lock or internal spring clamp between the rails would be a helpful added improvement - chucks can be relatively heavy, and it's no fun when the whole affair tips over and the little screws go thataway, even if you change them one at a time.

Joe
Joe,

Take the 2x4 that he used to fit inside the lathe bed and double it in terms of thickness. It won't be able to tip that way, and you can avoid a clamp.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. That'd likely be the simplest. I'm thinking, though, of something with less impact on real estate when off the lathe. My shop is already a sliding-block puzzle. Too bad I never worked as a grocery store bagger. :rolleyes:

Joe

Table for the Lathe

I have made several of these for my PM. I have a Large, a medium and a small. I also have one that has spring clamps attached to hold my sandpaper by grit.

The sandpaper table is masonite (18x18) with masonite spacers to fit the ways.

The other tables are 3/4 ply with ply spacers. The small is about 8x8 and has a 1 inch dowel about 4 inches long in the center. This is a chuck table and my Talon or Axminster chucks fit right on. The medium is used most, it is about 8 x 15. The large is about 18x 9. They fit with the length to the ways and thus are fairly stable. The sandpaper table, I do have to watch for tipping. Usually the cause of the tipping is me leaning on the table.

John :)

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
David Somers said:
Joe,

Take the 2x4 that he used to fit inside the lathe bed and double it in terms of thickness. It won't be able to tip that way, and you can avoid a clamp.

Dave
You could also put 2X4 or 2X1 strips on the outboard edges, when off the lathe, it sits flat on it's own, and it is very stable on the lathe.
:cool2:

Last edited:
A table is one of the most used tools I have.

.......... I'm thinking a sort of cam lock or internal spring clamp between the rails would be a helpful added improvement - chucks can be relatively heavy, and it's no fun when the whole affair tips over and the little screws go thataway, even if you change them one at a time.

Joe

Hi Joe, I used a table that had a cam I rotated 90 deg. under the bed rails which worked well but would not slide, I had the cam too tight.

I just made a new table for my new PM which has three rear earth magnets for each rail of the bed and a center board which sets between the rails. The magnets were embedded flush under the table with epoxy. So far I have not had any problems with tipping, but I also don't lean on it or place anything heavy on the outer edges. I need to cut some notches in the end frames so the tools don't roll around. One day I'll get it right.;)

Attachments

• Table.JPG
    Table.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 385

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hi Joe, I used a table that had a cam I rotated 90 deg. under the bed rails which worked well but would not slide, I had the cam too tight.

I just made a new table for my new PM which has three rear earth magnets for each rail of the bed and a center board which sets between the rails. The magnets were embedded flush under the table with epoxy. So far I have not had any problems with tipping, but I also don't lean on it or place anything heavy on the outer edges. I need to cut some notches in the end frames so the tools don't roll around. One day I'll get it right.;)

I'd say that looks like a well thought out and useful table idea, Eric.

I like the magnet idea.

Thanks for showing us that.

otis of cologne

Thanks, Eric and ByGeorge. I expect I'll use both the magnets and the cam(s); belt and suspenders to protect against haste and clumsiness. The parapet with notches is also a great idea.

Joe

Back