• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beauty in wood

Maybe I am getting a little silly in my old age. I have been involved in woodworking all of my life, mainly building furniture, etc. Since I have started wood turning I have developed an appreciation, fasination and respect for that ugly lump on the side of that log, or that rotting piece of maple and so on. I am amazed at the beauty revealed when I put that ugly little burl on my lathe and turn off the outer layers of bark to reveal that hidden treasure. No, I am not having a drink but just wanted to tell you guys how much I love this hobby and now understand why you are all addicted.
Regards,
Norm

It's simply amazing what "flat" workers throw away (I used to be one of them, too). If only they knew. But let's not tell them.

Whit

Well, Norm,

If you won't drink tewit, that jus leevsh more fer L'il Ol Me! [Don mine if ah do, now thatcha menshun it. . . .]

"Blessed be they who go round in circles, for they shall be known as Wheels." ;)

Mark
(recycling brown glass in New Jersey)

Website
www.mypeoplepc.com
I know what you mean. My dad and I spotted an old pallet on the side of the road one eveing. He said something about checking it out better when we came back in from our errand. We stopped and found it to be quite heavy. Once back at the shop we pulled it apart and discarded the nails. I got real curious as to what kind of wood it was, so I sliced off a piece and pormptly made two pens with it, one long grain, the other cross grain. Come to find out that that old beat-up pallet that was discarded on the side of the road, that we were picking up to be filler scrap, was South African walnut. Holding onto it for dear life now.

Turn 'em round,
RevDoug

Dog?

arbud said:
Mark, lad, I certainly hope you don't have a male dog :D

No, Bud, no dog at all; live in a house owned by 2 cats. But, must say I've completely missed the obscure reference.

Who mentioned a dog :confused:

:D :D

Back