• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Basket illusion question

Not for everybody, but I made my own with some Nichrome wire, silver solder, and one of Colwood's tip holders.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I'm not familiar with the Colwood beading tip, but I was involved in a discussion that Harvey Meyer started on WoW when Detail Master was going out of business and there was a search for a suitable substitute. Razertip made a BeadMaker pen, but it wasn't satisfactory at all. Fortunately Harvey was able to talk Pat at PJL Enterprises (Optima) into making a custom design. The design was fine tuned to perfectly match the D-Way beading tool and Harvey gave it his seal of approval. The Optima beading pens work very well ... maybe even better than the Detail Master beading pens.

I use the basket illusion tip from PJL Enterprises. http://www.carvertools.com

It was made specifically to match the beads made by D-way beading tools. It was recommended by several in a previous thread. I don't know for sure, but would think that pen could be made to work with other burner units (maybe with an adapter). Give him a call and he will let you know what would be needed to use that pen.

Edit: Bill posted while I was typing, I'm a slow typist on a tablet!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I use the basket illusion tip from PJL Enterprises. http://www.carvertools.com

It was made specifically to match the beads made by D-way beading tools. It was recommended by several in a previous thread. I don't know for sure, but would think that pen could be made to work with other burner units (maybe with an adapter). Give him a call and he will let you know what would be needed to use that pen.

Edit: Bill posted while I was typing, I'm a slow typist on a tablet!

You can use the Optima pens with most burners. Optima can supply you with the right patch cord to go from the pen to the burner.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
All you need is RCA female.to.female adaptor I think. I'm a long way from my shop. It could be male to Male but they are easy to find online.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
All you need is RCA female.to.female adaptor I think. I'm a long way from my shop. It could be male to Male but they are easy to find online.

For the Colwood burner I believe you would need just an Optima 16 gauge heavy duty patch cord with a male RCA phono plug on each end because the pen body has a female RCA phono connector and I believe that the Colwood burner has an RCA phono jack on its front panel.

I'm not familiar with the Colwood beading tip, but I was involved in a discussion that Harvey Meyer started on WoW when Detail Master was going out of business and there was a search for a suitable substitute. Razertip made a BeadMaker pen, but it wasn't satisfactory at all. Fortunately Harvey was able to talk Pat at PJL Enterprises (Optima) into making a custom design. The design was fine tuned to perfectly match the D-Way beading tool and Harvey gave it his seal of approval. The Optima beading pens work very well ... maybe even better than the Detail Master beading pens.
I agree with Bill and all the others that use the PJL pens. All of the pens I've gotten from him seem to be a notch better than other makes.

Back