• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bandsaw Blades

I recently got some bandsaw blades from Ellis Manufacturing in Verona, Wisconsin. I got bimetal and flexsteel blades. The bimetal were 9'3" x1/4x.025-10/14 and cost $29 each not including tax. The flexsteel were 9'3" x 1/4 x.025-6hook and were $10.25 each, again, no tax. I don't know what shipping and handling would be because I live near by and was able to pick them up. I just thought the prices were good. I've never used the bimetal but have used the flexsteel and like most they dull. I have sharpened them and they do last a long time if you take want to spend time sharpening.

I have heard of Ellis as a source for blades, but have a local blade maker that I use for the Lennox blades. Seems that the Ellis people once commented that they didn't have wood cutting bimetal blades. Make sure you get a wood cutting one. With the bimetal blades, if you hit a nail, it might slow it down a little, but it doesn't ruin the blade. The teeth are M42 HSS, and is the same metal they use on pallet cutting blades, and is not popular for many of our turning tools. Let us know how they work for you. Oh, the bimetal can be resharpened many times as well. I am surprised that no one has a CBN needle file for sharpening bandsaw blade teeth. That or a slow speed diamond one... It would work better than a flat file.

robo hippy

Reed, I may have been the one that said they no longer carry wood cutting blades. I think I got a crabby employee and he told me they weren't selling them anymore. I did have to wait as their supplier was late with a shipment. https://www.ellissaw.com/bandsaw-blades/band-saw-blade-stock-list/ I'm anxious to give them a try. I've used the 1/2 inch by 3 TP in the flex steel and they did as well as the more expensive ones I've used.

I think I heard that one over on Woodturner's Resource. Lots of Ellis fans over there. Apparently Lennox sold recently. I got a call from some one out on the east coast who was asking me about it, and he was worried that quality would go down. I was talking to my supplier about it, and they confirmed the sale, but said that the quality was actually better.

robo hippy

I recently got some bandsaw blades from Ellis Manufacturing in Verona, Wisconsin. I got bimetal and flexsteel blades. The bimetal were 9'3" x1/4x.025-10/14 and cost $29 each not including tax. The flexsteel were 9'3" x 1/4 x.025-6hook and were $10.25 each, again, no tax. I don't know what shipping and handling would be because I live near by and was able to pick them up. I just thought the prices were good. I've never used the bimetal but have used the flexsteel and like most they dull. I have sharpened them and they do last a long time if you take want to spend time sharpening.

I placed an order on Monday morning with Ellis for 5 blades, their minimum order. I never got an order confirmation, so I called them this morning, three days later, and after being put on hold so they could look for my order, they came back to say that they had not started it yet. I cancelled it. I don't think they are set up for small woodshop customers.

FWIW I've always been happy with Suffolk Machinery Blades. Seem to have no issue with getting me small quantities, as well as the somewhat custom size needed for my 16" walker turner saw.

I placed an order on Monday morning with Ellis for 5 blades, their minimum order. I never got an order confirmation, so I called them this morning, three days later, and after being put on hold so they could look for my order, they came back to say that they had not started it yet. I cancelled it. I don't think they are set up for small woodshop customers.

Tom, That’s another reason why I prefer to braze my own blades from reels. I get a new blade whenever I want, and my blades cost 75% less than mail order.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Tom, That’s another reason why I prefer to braze my own blades from reels. I get a new blade whenever I want, and my blades cost 75% less than mail order.
Made me smile. :) I used to make a lot of bandsawn boxes (20 or more years ago) and used 1/8"x14tpi Lenox blades. Started buying 100' coils to make my own blades - after a few years I found a mail order source where I could buy the Lenox blades cheaper than what I paid for the coils. It was an Amish blade sharpening business in PA - and a very low tech operation. I would place my order by phone - usually delivered the next day - he would put the handwritten bill in the box and I would send him a check upon receipt. :D I don't think that business model would work today :rolleyes:

Sorry that happened but not surprised. To repeat one time I called and asked about the bi-metal and the guy said they didn't have time to talk about that and weren't going to sell them anymore. This time it was like clockwork. The material wasn't in house and they called me when the order was ready. I like getting them there because I drive by Robust tools on the way and pick them up. Nice to be able to actually see where items are originated. BTW, the bimetal is sweet, glad I found them.

Made me smile. :) I used to make a lot of bandsawn boxes (20 or more years ago) and used 1/8"x14tpi Lenox blades. Started buying 100' coils to make my own blades - after a few years I found a mail order source where I could buy the Lenox blades cheaper than what I paid for the coils. It was an Amish blade sharpening business in PA - and a very low tech operation. I would place my order by phone - usually delivered the next day - he would put the handwritten bill in the box and I would send him a check upon receipt. :D I don't think that business model would work today :rolleyes:

Tom, That was a great deal, but you’re right that business model probably wouldn’t work in today’s world. Personally, I wouldn’t bother brazing my blades if I couldn’t save both time and money. I have purchased several blade reels off eBay at significant savings so blades cost me about $5 to $7 each and about 10 minutes of my time for brazing (for a 133” blade on my 18” bandsaw). Nobody is going to make them that cheap.

Back