• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

band saw set-up demystified

this link was posted @ Segmented Woodturners, thought it prudent enough to repost here
took a look thru past posts and didn't see it, so hopefully it'll nudge some people to take 5 minutes and do it right
Have worked with a band saw for 30+ years and IMHO this video is invaluable, and will save you sanding time down the road
(many thanks to Stuart @ Segmented for the original post/link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks. I have two books, an article in FWW, and this video and each says to do things in a different way.

At one time many years ago, I was on the coplanar bandwagon, but after a while, I figured out that it didn't seem to have any tangible benefit and besides you can spend all your time making sure that everything is coplanar and not have time for cutting wood. Most of the 14 inch Delta class bandsaws and smaller have different degrees of flex with different width blades so it turns into a big mess trying to keep things coplanar under all conditions. He didn't discuss cool blocks because they aren't in the Carter line, but I really like them. Even better is that you can substitute an oily tropical wood for the cool blocks and the cost is essentially zero. I use zero clearance wood side guides and the blades run very cool. There are some other tricks including coating the blade with PAM and using a stone to round over the sharp corners on the back edges of the blade. Also a blade cuts better if the teeth aren't upside down -- did that once. :D

LOL Bill, I have a bunch of turning training dvd's with the same exact problem, now you know how I feel ;)
no wonder I was so confused :rolleyes:
Thank goodness Jimmy set me straight ........

I actually like the bearings better than the blocks I used to have
have a Powermatic like the guy that's doing the set-up in the vid
set mine up the same way and I'm cutting 6" tall wood, veneer thin, repeatedly, with no issues............

I am not sure if I learned anything that I hadn't figured out already, but will give this a big two thumbs up. I guess part two of this should be on blades.

robo hippy

yup robo, you're correct
doesn't matter at all how well you have machine set up if you're using crap blades
a quality blade will make all the difference in the world.

Back