• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Australian coolibah burl

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
I was given a thin burl of Coolibah (it is one of the many eucalyptus species growing in Australia) by a very nice lady woodturner, June McKimmie who came to learn off centre turning this summer (see her article in the last woodturning magazine).
It took me some time to find out what I could get out of this marvellous burl, unknown to me. The challenge was to keep the overall shape and to enhance the contrast between the roughness of it's natural aspect and the softness and design of the intricate fibres.
The piece is not finish yet... but I'll work on it as soon as I can find some spare time.

Attachments

• coolibah002.jpg
    coolibah002.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 53
  • coolibah003.jpg
    coolibah003.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 43
  • coolibah004.jpg
    coolibah004.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 40
  • coolibah005.jpg
    coolibah005.jpg