• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Artificial Fingers

Sanding can sometimes be tedium writ large, even more boring than boring itself. I've found some relief, by considering improvements to processes such as this.

Artificial fingers come to mind for sanding small hollow forms. I cut vinyl tubing long enough to span a screwdriver shank. I attach sandpaper strips to the tubing with short pieces of tape, wrapped to leave a trailing edge at the sanding location. For some forms, it may be useful to wrap strips of the same grit in each direction on two tubes, to attack in both directions. I don't think it's a good idea to wrap both directions at two ends of the same tube, because the inactive strip could be hard to control.

There are several benefits to this technique. The small contact area localizes wear of the sandpaper, so that less paper is wasted; the worn paper can be torn off, or folded under a new trailing edge. There's less need to copy the grit identification all over the back of the paper, as is often recommended. And finally, it reduces the likelihood of surgical replacement with prosthetic artificial fingers.

To reduce distractions, I usually refresh the strips at the beginning of each sanding cycle. But once in a while, the distraction of attaching new strips of sandpaper is a welcome interruption.

No good deed goes unpunished, of course. If widely adopted, starving doctors and lawyers might have to seek other vocations. Reduced waste of sandpaper could increase unemployment in the sandpaper industry, although using sandpaper as if somebody else was buying it (also often recommended) might help.

Use of the toolrest is optional; locate it for maximum protection. BTW, the bandage on my thumb is protecting cracked dry skin, not a turning injury.

Joe

Attachments

• 100_0010.JPG
    100_0010.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_0011.JPG
    100_0011.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 233
Joe your chuck holding the piece is interesting, it appears to be make of cardboard tubing, right? Where did you get a tubing so thick??

Joe your chuck holding the piece is interesting, it appears to be make of cardboard tubing, right? Where did you get a tubing so thick??

Newsprint core. Yes, cardboard. Very precise dimensions, and very strong, as well as reasonably uniform mechanical properties. Newspaper printing presses automatically change rolls of new paper at full speed, about 30mph. To avoid having to re-thread the paper through all of the printing stations, the changeover is made with about 1/4-inch thick left on the old roll, which is then discarded by our local rag for public consumption - very popular with teachers for free sketching paper. Some printers now charge a deposit for such cores. (Maybe otherwise returned to the paper manufacturer?) There's also a recycling industry making them into pallets.

The Internet has reduced many hard-copy newspapers. The Rocky Mountain News in Denver has eliminated their hard copy just now. But inquire at your local newspaper or commercial offset printers about availability of cores. The "deposit" shouldn't be very pricey, even if greater than zero.

Cores for carpeting might also be available, but they probably get beat up too much to reuse.

Back