• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Appropriate Finishes for confetti lamps

Does anyone have a good recommendation for finishes on candle holders...in particular, the oil confetti candles? I am sure it is not critical but I am trying to decide on one ... not sure if I really need to concern myself with durability, heat, potential wzx drippings (although the later is not an issue with the confetti candles although candle oil spillage might be).

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
having done a hundred or so, any finish you put on there will spot and show if the user drips the oil onto it. I usually use a flood coat of lacquer thinned 50% with lacquer thinner, to seal it. Then the next day sand out any finish marks and wax with Renaissance wax. Bowling alley wax works well too. I have done all lacquer, but the amount of work for a low cost item doesn't usually jusify it, even if it is a $150 piece.

The other option is to lacquer seal it and use the Beall system. It works pretty well, but any wax spots when the oil hits it. Plus a higher gloss will show any imperfections and tool marks.

Appropriate Finishes

Oil has lost its favor but is still the most durable finish. Shellac and laquer are quick but but very fragile because almost anything liquid will mess these finishes up. I have gone to Liberon Finishing Oil as my most used finish and if you want a high gloss 5 or 6 coats will rally shine, 2 or 3 will give a semi-gloss.

Dale Nish calls these finishes " quick and dirty".

Ron

thanks

thanks for the suggestions. I will have to try. Perhaps I will tryt he lacquer idea. Not something I've used before so it is a good time to "venture" out :)

Actually, would a Polyurethane finish work?

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
thanks for the suggestions. I will have to try. Perhaps I will tryt he lacquer idea. Not something I've used before so it is a good time to "venture" out :)

Actually, would a Polyurethane finish work?

It would work , but probably the same spotting if they dripped the lamp oil on it. Wiping on Deft would probably be the same as the lacquer/thinner deal. Deft is basically a wiping/brushing lacquer.

I go to the container store and by Naglene screw top bottles and pour %50 each of the lacquer and thinner in it, mark the outside with a Sharpee as to what is in it and then cover it with wide tape (so that if the lacquer spills down it doesn't wipe off my markings). Then to use it, put on disposable nitrile gloves (latex melts) and use a cut up tshirt and flood it with the lacquer, wiping away excess as it soaks in. Another coat the next day and then sand the next day after that. You can Beaal buff then or wax. If you buff through the lacquer, you will have shiny and dull spots.

Back