• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Antique Treadle lathe availble in Maryland....

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
For those antique tool folks in in MD, DE, PA, NJ, VA -

I just saw a listing on eBay for an antique treadle lathe that is available in Maryland (local pick-up only) that apparently can be 'purchased now' for $250. Were I closer, I would nab it, but thought I would give a heads-up here in case there are some who may want to investigate this.....

Have a look at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371312254486

Would make a great restoration project for a chapter activity, or serve as a good eye catcher at woodturning events..... I would hate to see it go to someone who won't appreciate it - somebody needs to give it a good home! Old tools like this should be preserved!

Sigh.......well, back to grading term papers....

Rob

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
They are a lot of fun to play on. I built one and used it for years for demos but finally had to dismantle it. I simply didn't have room for it any more. Many years ago some students at Tenn Tech University had to make a video for an education class. They asked me to demo my foot powered lathe so I did. Hey did some rather odd editing but I'm still amazed at the number of views it gets. Go to youtube.com and type in Appalachian woodturner and you can find it. I was younger then :)

Back