• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Another Skew practice video

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
This is a warm up exercise I do when I haven't been turning in a while. It refreshes my skills. It's very good practice. Just use scrap wood, don't worry about the quality and throw it away afterwords. Your more relaxed that way and after you turn a few of these you'll start to feel comfortable with the skew.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvRMuIj4_4

Camera Orientation

See my message #3 here: http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=5690

The link no longer allows visitor access to images. I've attached them here for your consideration. If your video camera doesn't have provision for image rotation, a Dove prism can do so; and another Dove prism to rectify left vs. right. Needs additional camera height, but zoom can fix that.

Attachments

• P1.JPG
    P1.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 43
  • P2.JPG
    P2.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 41
  • P3.JPG
    P3.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 40
  • P4.JPG
    P4.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 40

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
flipped version

My camera doesn't but I was able to figure out how to do it in Imovie. I simply forgot about that last night. To get the camera closer to my normal eye position I have to mount the camera from the backside of the lathe. This inverts the video of course. Here is the corrected version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA91yJ9KhKU

For what it's worth John, I watched both videos and actually found the first one more beneficial. I just found the view showed the angle of presentation better.

Great New Year's present for all of us, Thanks John. Highly informative, great production values and enjoyable. Except for the cold, I felt like I was right over your shoulder.

All the best, Tom, just over the hill in Douglasville, GA

Back