1. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Allan Batty, legendary woodturner passes away

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Kim Rymer, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Kim Rymer

Kim Rymer Communications & Marketing Director Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

We received the sad news from Stuart Batty, that his father Allan Batty, legendary artist and woodturner, has passed away. Our hearts go out to Stuart, and Allan's family and friends.

Here are words from Stuart:
    "My dad Allan Batty died today peacefully in his sleep. It's hard for me to put it into words my gratitude for the knowledge my dad taught me when I was just a boy. We have all missed his entertaining woodturning demonstration over the recent years. The last time we both demonstrated together was in Oregon all most five years ago. My dad has not demonstrated since due to illness. I'm boarding a plane right now and will post more later about my incredible dad."

George Guadiane likes this.
  2. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Location (City & State):
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    As I remarked yesterday when posting about his death, I was captivated by Mr. Batty's presence in video demonstrations. When his son shares his memories, I would appreciate knowing where he posts (perhaps at WOW?)

3. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    Allan was a great teacher and influenced many of today's turners.
    I was privileged to have met him and will always remember the time he took to teach me thread chasing in an AAW trade show.
    He will be missed.

charlie knighton likes this.
  4. Andy Chen

Andy Chen

Location (City & State):
    College Station, TX
    Rest in peace, Allan. My condolences to Stuart and his family.

5. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    I got to go to the work shop at Nick Stagg's place just south of Salem, OR. Great workshop. Great man. When he had his stroke a few years back, I wrote to him about what I picked up at the workshop. Can't remember what it was now. He quipped back about how the pedestrians were feeling safer since the doctor's wouldn't let him drive any more.

robo hippy