• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Airline Travel and Turning Tools

Ok, so I will be traveling soon with my chisels. Any advice on packing them, declaration of hazardous content, and what not? I will be taking a day long in-the-shop class from one of the big hats (just kidding Bill) :D while traveling for business and I want to be able to use my own tools as much as possible.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I'm dialing Homeland Security right now Matt! :eek: I've had quite a few visitors here who had to bring their tools on the plane in the past couple of weeks. The best way seems to put them in a cardboard or other secure box (secure from falling out that is) and check them in. They will more than likely be inspected. One gentleman had a very pretty Dept of Homeland Security sticker on his box.

See you in a little while.

Bill

There's your answer - checked baggage. Different standard than cabin baggage.

Here's a thinker - go to a High School to demo or sub and try to bring in turning or carving tools. Have your ID ready, and be sure to brief the principal in advance. I gave up carrying my Gerber multitool with its sharp edges so the kids wouldn't hollar "double standard."

Picking up a patient in a prison with your EMT kit strapped to your leg can really pose a problem.

Website
www.kudzu
The obvious answer is to call the Airline and/or airport and ask them.

My sister is a chef and when carries her tools (including sharp knives) she carrys them in a small plastic tool box with a pad lock on it. When she checks the bags she tells them what it is. I don't think she has ever had a problem.

But, CALL! Don't assume we know what we are talking about!

Website
www.vinceswoodnwonders.com
Travel and tools

Matt,
I just got back from spending a couple of days in Austin Texas turning with the Tolly brothers. I had my razor sharp tools in a duffle bag and they were simply scanned and given a pretty sticker. Now on the other hand the wood that I brought back in my luggage almost got me locked up! It seemed beyond them why I would load up my luggage with 200 year old Mesquite wood. It is the government...what can I say. V :cool:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Vinces WoodNWonders said:
Now on the other hand the wood that I brought back in my luggage almost got me locked up! It seemed beyond them why I would load up my luggage with 200 year old Mesquite wood. It is the government...what can I say. V :cool:

Interesting. I had a student up here from FL two weeks ago. He came with wood, and left with different wood. No one bothered him about that. I guess it comes down to who is on duty at that particular station.

Bill

Gov'ment

Vinces WoodNWonders said:
Matt,
I just got back from spending a couple of days in Austin Texas turning with the Tolly brothers. I had my razor sharp tools in a duffle bag and they were simply scanned and given a pretty sticker. Now on the other hand the wood that I brought back in my luggage almost got me locked up! It seemed beyond them why I would load up my luggage with 200 year old Mesquite wood. It is the government...what can I say. V :cool:

To give The Man his due, they may well have been examining your wood for glue lines and something other that mesquite in the middle. You'll find such examination not uncommon when traveling from the southern border states. Had a client who thought it was some kind of joke when he opened a box of bananas on the tail of the truck and found they were made from rubber. Everyone got a good laugh until they found one split with white stuff inside that would numb your lips.

Mark

Last edited:
Judging from my travels you can check about anything that does not blow up, as long as you stay in the USA and check it. If you carry on anything that could be used as a weapon you will be in real trouble, only a matter of time before they outlaw pens I bet. The general rule from the Agriculture Dept. is that interstate transport of dry wood is OK, but strickly regulates the transport of anything green on wet. This is due to carrying bugs and othe infectious stuff. Living in Florida we are very careful about bringing in wood that may have stuff that may create problems in our orange trees for example, and California has some real tight rules.

I teach video productions in high school and occasionally have to repair cables and equipment in the school. It is very tough to follow the rules about weapons in schools and still have students help you with repairs. "Is that a knife or a wire stripper?" for example.

I have had the fortune to go to Arrowmont on two occasions. Both times I took my own tools. First time (year 2000) I just put my tools in my checked bags wrapped up in towels. No problem. Just watch the weight limit. Second time (year 2004) I made a case out of PVC pipe (looks like a launch tube for a missle), still had no problem - when asked what was in the tube I just told them woodturning tools. They checked them as there was a sticker inside the case when I unpacked them. I think the big thing is to protect the cutting edge of the tool, and watch the weight limit. As long as it is checked baggage there should not be any problem.
Hugh

Air Travel

I found a way to avoid all problems at the airport, I drive. I am blonde hair blue eyes and speak very clear English. I don't even own a the proper head gear. On the other hand I'm retired and a couple extra days makes no difference to me. It just gripes me thinking about this kind of thing. Mebe I'm just tired. Have a great day,

Jim :D

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
jbell64@earthlink.net said:
It just gripes me thinking about this kind of thing.
Jim :D
Kind of a statement of our times. I uses locker type rolling cases that are carefully wieghed to fit within the weight limit, and I watch them get inspected to see if there is anything I need to buy when I get to my destination. (Glue, activator, most anything flammable cannot be taken).

I remember years ago talking to a defense department contractor talking about having to meet deadlines and they didn't have time to ship the missle. He bought it a seat on a plane and it sat next to him in flight.

I travel the airlines due to my job. If it is sharp or could be consider any kind of club or weapon, then you must put it in your check luggage. You will not be allowed to carry it onto the plane. You will not have any problems unless of course, they loose your luggage.

travel w/turning tools

If I was gonna be doing much traveling with my turning tools, I would invest in a couple of those nice tool rolls, like Brad Packard sells.

Last edited:
Steve Worcester said:
I remember years ago talking to a defense department contractor talking about having to meet deadlines and they didn't have time to ship the missle. He bought it a seat on a plane and it sat next to him in flight.

Even in those "good old" days you could get a rise from folks occasionally. We took a plane to depot for modification, and had to carry our chutes back with us on the airlines, because they didn't have a military aircraft available. Six folks climbing onto a commercial airliner with parachutes did raise a few eyebrows, but no one left the plane. IIRC, we paid for two extra seats for them.

Flying with Finishes

I see a lot of people still have items takem by the TSA from carry on luggage. I have seen items purchased at the airport taken away the next time the person went through security.

One thing mentioned earlier is that way too often turners and demonstrators will pack small quantities of finishes or solvents in the checked baggage. Any nitrate or alchol based product or other flamable is a NO NO.

At the reduced cabin/cargo area pressures at altitude these things can leak or even vaporize. Since the TSA has installed sniffers for checked baggage it is just a matter of time before some unlucky turner gets his/her bag and contents destroyed.

I am supprized that the AAW doesn't require the vendors to post some type of warning in the trade show area that some products might be substances which can not be shipped/transported by air. For example just look at the finish section of your favorite mail order catalog. They list things that can not be shipped by air. Let the info in their catalogs be your guide as you pack for that next flight.

John Taylor

John Taylor said:
I see a lot of people still have items takem by the TSA from carry on luggage. I have seen items purchased at the airport taken away the next time the person went through security.

One thing mentioned earlier is that way too often turners and demonstrators will pack small quantities of finishes or solvents in the checked baggage. Any nitrate or alchol based product or other flamable is a NO NO.

At the reduced cabin/cargo area pressures at altitude these things can leak or even vaporize. Since the TSA has installed sniffers for checked baggage it is just a matter of time before some unlucky turner gets his/her bag and contents destroyed.

I am supprized that the AAW doesn't require the vendors to post some type of warning in the trade show area that some products might be substances which can not be shipped/transported by air. For example just look at the finish section of your favorite mail order catalog. They list things that can not be shipped by air. Let the info in their catalogs be your guide as you pack for that next flight.

John Taylor

In July I was traveling out to Washington with a newly finished piece for my Grandma.
It was lacquered and was a little smelly. It was in my carry on and I expected it to be examined. Nope.
Perhaps in the KC airport. They had a different setup there.
I imagine the baggage searchers saw some different stuff after the symposium.
Mark.

Back