• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Additional protection for bowls with walnut oil?

Does anyone put anything over Mahoney's walnut oil for additional protection on utility bowls especially for softer hardwoods like elm or soft maples?

I don't ... Mahoney's Walnut Oil is a hardening oil. I do generally apply two or three coats.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I don't put anything over the oil but have considered some of the oil/wax blend. My experience is it depends on the wood. Some soak it up quickly, others it takes a while before they feel OK to sell or give away. I've put them on a sheet of printer paper and when they don't leave an oil ring they're ready in my opinion. It can take a week or so before some quit leaving a ring. Not sure the wax changes the time it takes.

I use the Doctor's Woodshop walnut oil. Don't know if it is any better or not when compared to Mike's product, but the Doctor is an Oregon guy... I use walnut oil on all of my bowls and daily use pieces. It can take a week or more for the oil to cure, depending on temperature and sun light exposure. Some don't get to cure that long before they sell, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. I may oil my personal bowl or plate once a year. Most of the time not.

robo hippy

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I use the Doctor's Woodshop walnut oil. Don't know if it is any better or not when compared to Mike's product, but the Doctor is an Oregon guy... I use walnut oil on all of my bowls and daily use pieces. It can take a week or more for the oil to cure, depending on temperature and sun light exposure. Some don't get to cure that long before they sell, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. I may oil my personal bowl or plate once a year. Most of the time not.

robo hippy

Light is the important factor. I don’t know whether if it needs to be sunlight or not. I ran some experiments once where I put various walnut oils on pieces of paper towel and hung them in a dark closet. None were hard after two months. I then hung them in a south facing window and all were hard in three days.

I never use anything on Mahoneys Walnut Oil and I have no problem delivering the piece the same day/

One cautionary note on your rags used when applying walnut oil. Me, as one who has to experiment, tried all sorts of variations of leaving them piled up to see if they would do the spontaneous combustion thing like the oils with the hardeners in them. Never even warmed them up no matter how long they sat. Then one day my son came in and commented "Dad, I think some thing is starting to burn." Went out to check, and I had left a rag on a black plastic bag of shavings on the south/sun side of the building. The direct sun and black plastic were enough to start the rag smoldering. Take care of your rags, at the very least, keep them out of direct sun light.

robo hippy

How long would you wait before selling or giving away a bowl? Also, do you put wax on top and/or buff after the oil hardens?
I usually let them sit for a month or so ... depends on schedules for holidays, gallery nights, craft shows, etc. I do generally use the Beall buffing system ... light on the Tripoli and White Diamond, heavier on the Carnauba.

Back