• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW Survey - opens today

Ed,
Question #11 doesn't seem to be working properly. If you answer more then one question in the same column it cancels the previous question. Bob

Bob,

I think you mean # 12 ? "Broken" for me as well..........

Also 22, you can input multiple responses for the same question.

Having done a few surveys for different organizations, I can recognize the effort that has gone into this one. Thanks, Ed.

Rich

Yes, we're aware of the bug on question 12. Unfortunately, the survey cannot be changed once it's begun, without dumping all the data collected so far.

John Ellis

Board Member
Just finished taking it. Great job, Ed. :) In addition to the on-line version, will the survey also be distributed in paper form? I'd like to have all of our chapter members, especially the ones who aren't members, take it.

John,

An email blast went out to all chapter Presidents yesterday, announcing the survey, and providing guidance/suggestions on presenting it at their next local chapter meeting. Included in the chapter President's package is a pdf hard-copy printable version, intended to be used as a last resort, by those who refuse, or are unable to take an online survey. However, we really want to encourage everyone to take the online version - the program we're using will automatically tabulate the results - versus having to manually transcribe hand-written survey responses, which will be very, very, very (did I say very) time consuming.

If you know of someone who wants to take the survey, but cannot take it online for some reason, first ask them if you or someone in their chapter can help them take the online version, and if not, ask them to get in touch with their local chapter President or contact the St Paul office for a hard copy.

John Ellis

Board Member
Thanks Ed,

Since I'm no longer the chapter President, I wasn't aware of the survey coming to local chapters. We have a chapter Board meeting Monday and I'll bring this out and encourage our chapter to promote it, even by giving out paper "reminders" that have the AAW website link for those who aren't members, or who seldom use this site.

As someone who'se written and scored surveys in the past, I really understand the reluctance to encourage paper responses, but unfortunately the portion of our audience (members) who don't frequently use computers and/or the AAW site is significant, and every reasonable effort should be made to gather feedback from these folks.

One suggestion...to ease the burden of scoring the paper versions, allow a member to gather the paper surveys and manually input the answers into the system. I would be willing to take 20 or so paper surveys from our members and input them for machine scoring if I had the ability to access such a feature. I suppose I could just come to the site without logging in and "pretend" I'm a non-member taking the survey, but that may skew other data. Any advice?

Thanks, again, for your hard work on this.

John

Here's the actual email that went out to chapter Presidents - see item 3 for info on how we're suggesting hand-written surveys be handled:

The American Association of Woodturners is conducting a survey of its
members, and we need your help. This will be an online (internet based)
survey, and we are concerned that some AAW members may not participate due
to their lack of access to, or comfort with the internet.
We need your help to encourage and facilitate AAW member's participation.

Here are some ideas on how you can help:

1) Make an announcement at your next local chapter meeting. The survey may
be accessed by going to this web address: http://tinyurl.com/yhypa8m
If possible put a link to the survey address on your website. The survey
will be "live" through Jan 31, 2010.

2) Offer to help your chapter membership fill out the online survey. Perhaps
solicit volunteers to help with the survey taking through an aggressive
mentoring program.

3) For those who do not have web access or are not comfortable taking an
online survey, offer the attached hard-copy (pdf) survey as an alternative.
Please understand that tabulating hand-written hard-copy survey data is very
time consuming and expensive, so only offer this option as a last resort.
And, it would be enormously helpful if chapters would tabulate these
hand-written inputs onto the attached Excel spreadsheet. In the event that
you do have hand-written, and manually tabulated survey inputs, please email
your filled-out spreadsheet to inquires@woodturner.org no later than January
29, 2010.

Please contact the AAW office in St. Paul if you have any questions.
email inquiries@woodturner.org
phone 651-484-9094

Cassandra Speier
AAW Board of Directors

I’ve been taking a peek at some of the early membership survey statistics and written comments – and one of the things that pops up in this (as well as past AAW surveys) is a comment that reads something like this: “AAW caters to carvers and wood art more than woodturners.” It’s the artsy-fartsy versus conventional woodturning complaint.

As a way to test this comment, I went back and had a careful look at all the wood art posted on our new AAW online sales venue, located here. And I have to say that of the 298 items posted so far, less than 10% would fit a strict definition of a conventional woodturning – having been created predominantly on a lathe, with no burning, carving, sculptural features or other significant forms of embellishment.

My question is – why does this group of items not represent a fair cross-section of the AAW membership? In other words, why are those of you who turn un-embellished bowls, platters, boxes and the like not posting your work on this sales venue?

Some of the folks who raise the art versus craft AAW focus question point to the American Woodturner, annual AAW symposium instant galleries, special exhibits and our new online sales venue as evidence to support the assertion that the AAW has “lost its way”. Personally, I don’t believe that. What I do believe is that those who are in the “business” of woodturning need recognition to make a living – so they will naturally assert themselves more than a casual hobbyist or weekend turner. And if that’s true, it’s incumbent on those casual turners to assert their points of view as well – with constructive comments and suggestions on what they want to see from the AAW, and how they want AAW to go forward. So, take the survey, post a note on this forum, publish photos of your work, write your favorite Board member, write to the AW editor, call the St Paul office – and make your constructive points of view heard. Can I get an Amen?

Last edited:

John Ellis

Board Member
Ed, I tried to get the survey page to open, but it doesn't seem to work today. Any information?

John

John,

The online 3rd party service we use (SurveyMonkey) remembers who you are, and will only allow the survey to be taken once per IP address. After the submit button is pressed, futher attempts to access the survey will be referred to a blank page.

Website
www.seantroy.com
I’ve been taking a peek at some of the early membership survey statistics and written comments – and one of the things that pops up in this (as well as past AAW surveys) is a comment that reads something like this: “AAW caters to carvers and wood art more than woodturners.†It’s the artsy-fartsy versus conventional woodturning complaint.

As a way to test this comment, I went back and had a careful look at all the wood art posted on our new AAW online sales venue, located here. And I have to say that of the 298 items posted so far, less than 10% would fit a strict definition of a conventional woodturning – having been created predominantly on a lathe, with no burning, carving, sculptural features or other significant forms of embellishment.

My question is – why does this group of items not represent a fair cross-section of the AAW membership? In other words, why are those of you who turn un-embellished bowls, platters, boxes and the like not posting your work on this sales venue?

Some of the folks who raise the art versus craft AAW focus question point to the American Woodturner, annual AAW symposium instant galleries, special exhibits and our new online sales venue as evidence to support the assertion that the AAW has “lost its wayâ€. Personally, I don’t believe that. What I do believe is that those who are in the “business†of woodturning need recognition to make a living – so they will naturally assert themselves more than a casual hobbyist or weekend turner. And if that’s true, it’s incumbent on those casual turners to assert their points of view as well – with constructive comments and suggestions on what they want to see from the AAW, and how they want AAW to go forward. So, take the survey, post a note on this forum, publish photos of your work, write your favorite Board member, write to the AW editor, call the St Paul office – and make your constructive points of view heard. Can I get an Amen?

I could never see the AAW going backwards from where it worked so hard to get. There are three different groups of turners who make up the AAW. The well known artist who has moved forward and has been innovative, leading the way. The turners who are just happy turning as a hobby. The turners who are hobbyists but want to grow into the art form and learn all they can. How do you divide them up into groups who will all be satisfied equally with the information or benefit (Perceived value) they receive from the AAW as dues paying members? Divide the AAW into three different areas/sections with equal ties to the other sections? Kind of like cross training as desired. Sounds like an awful lot of work.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ed,

The work posted for sale is representative of what people sell.
so I think it is skewed a bit toward the high end.

We visit a number of AAW chapters mostly in Fla but we managed to get to CO, MD, and TN this past year. The work brought to meetings by chapter members is more 50% artsy 50% conventional. Most every club has work that is pierced, textured, colored, segmented, burned, cut.... about every 4th club someone shows a piece that was never on the lathe, I've never seen one of them chastised. The chapters as a whole seem to be inclusive and appreciative of all types of work.

I think part of the "art bashing" is rooted in obscure human emotions. For example, Binh Pho, turns marvelous shapes with incredibly thin walls. Pieces most people can only dream of achieving on the lathe and then he goes to work...

Happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
I’ve been taking a peek at some of the early membership survey statistics and written comments – and one of the things that pops up in this (as well as past AAW surveys) is a comment that reads something like this: “AAW caters to carvers and wood art more than woodturners.†It’s the artsy-fartsy versus conventional woodturning complaint.

Some of the folks who raise the art versus craft AAW focus question point to the American Woodturner, annual AAW symposium instant galleries, special exhibits and our new online sales venue as evidence to support the assertion that the AAW has “lost its wayâ€. Personally, I don’t believe that. What I do believe is that those who are in the “business†of woodturning need recognition to make a living – so they will naturally assert themselves more than a casual hobbyist or weekend turner. And if that’s true, it’s incumbent on those casual turners to assert their points of view as well – with constructive comments and suggestions on what they want to see from the AAW, and how they want AAW to go forward. So, take the survey, post a note on this forum, publish photos of your work, write your favorite Board member, write to the AW editor, call the St Paul office – and make your constructive points of view heard. Can I get an Amen?

The fact that many have stated: “AAW caters to carvers and wood art more than woodturners.†shows exactly how they feel. These turners, the bulk of the AAW membership, the folks that read and need the journal don't offer items for sale. The things they see in the Journal (and probably don't read) is not what they're looking for. The AAW leadership does not and will not get it.
Mike

Got to agree with Mike; at least that's one of the reasons I dropped my membership. The other reason was because of the condition of the magazine when it arrived. I now buy each magazine at the news counter. I also check this site daily, lots of good info.

Garmar

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

I just tried to see the survey, and it's currently closed.

I think the criticisms offered by Mike Cunningham and Ed Davidson are valid.

Yes, you can get an Amen, Ed........

ooc

Odie - the survey was open for 3 months. I hope that you completed it. Members and non-members could fill it out.

Jerry

odie

TOTW Team
:D
Odie - the survey was open for 3 months. I hope that you completed it. Members and non-members could fill it out.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry......

No, I didn't complete it.

That's ok.

I'm afraid I'm a day late and a dollar short! :D

Is there somewhere I can view the results of the survey?

thanks

ooc

Odie:

When the survey was first announced in the Winter 2009 AW, it was stated that general results would be shared with the membership, once tabulated and reviewed. I assume there will be an AW or website report.

Jerry

odie

TOTW Team
Odie:

When the survey was first announced in the Winter 2009 AW, it was stated that general results would be shared with the membership, once tabulated and reviewed. I assume there will be an AW or website report.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry......

I'll watch for it.

ooc

A comprehensive survey of our membership - current, former and future - is underway, and will run through January 31, 2010.

Originally Posted by steelguy View Post

Ed,

Just curious, nosy if you wish. It would be interesting to find out how just many members actually cared enough to take the survey(actual numbers) and what percentage of satisfaction or dis-satisfaction the the survey indicates.

To your knowledge, will the results be known?

Last edited:
Jake,

The survey committee met via conference call yesterday to sort out how best to publish the survey results. I should have more information for you soon. In the mean time, I can say that 1,103 people took the survey, of which 93.7% indicated that they are current AAW members.

odie

TOTW Team
Jake,

The survey committee met via conference call yesterday to sort out how best to publish the survey results. I should have more information for you soon. In the mean time, I can say that 1,103 people took the survey, of which 93.7% indicated that they are current AAW members.

Howdy Ed......

Is it possible to see the results of this survey, without downloading a pdf file?

(I have a problem with pdf files on my computer. My pc rejects the newest acrobat updates, and whenever I try to download a pdf file, I get computer gridlock. Several knowledgeable computer experts have attempted to help me with this, but all has failed. I'm afraid whatever it is, it will require some sort of technical fix that is beyond the normal.......:mad: This computer is about 10yrs old, and I've decided to not bother with it anymore......when it dies, I'm going to get a new one!)

....anyway, if the survey can be seen without the pdf file, I'd be interested in seeing it.

thank you

ooc

ooc,

Right, I understand. If you'll log onto the AAW members area and have a look at the survey announcement, you'll see that I've dropped the pdf in favor of a password protect webpage view of the survey - you may have to refresh your browser to see these changes.

odie

TOTW Team
ooc,

Right, I understand. If you'll log onto the AAW members area and have a look at the survey announcement, you'll see that I've dropped the pdf in favor of a password protect webpage view of the survey - you may have to refresh your browser to see these changes.

Thanks Ed......

I was able to connect to that.....

ooc

Ruth,

"...the password" - you realize there are two, right? One to log onto the members area and a second one that was just created to access the survey results. After logging on, read the announcement dated 2/12/2010 to see the 2nd password.

Ed, I had a problem with the password, do I have to create a new one? I put in the one I use to get into the members only area (no problem there) but it won't work.

I'm sure it's a simple solution that I'm just not seeing.

Thanks

Back