• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW St Paul Gallery - New Show

The American Association of Woodturners Gallery of Wood Art is pleased to present Restful Places - Cremation Urns and Objects at its Landmark Center gallery, January 16 through March 29, 2009. Click here to view the St Paul Gallery page.

urn.jpg

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Someone at AAW may want to do a little correction to the description pdf.

Mid-way down it says:
“He was an aesthetic man, with a keen sense of beauty. We really felt
that what available would have horrified him, and there certain we would have wanted to live around."

I'd hesitate to "correct" someone else's remarks. It's possible that it's a verbatim transcription, not necessarily grammatically CORRECT, given the circumstances.

Joe

Maybe "... and they're certain..." :confused: Still grammatically haywire, but in any event I think the person quoted (Tib Shaw) should be offered first refusal about "corrections."

Joe

Tib Shaw

AAW Gallery Curator
Staff member
Website
www.galleryofwoodart.org
Correction

Thank goodness for your sharp eyes, fellows! I am mortified by the error, but glad to have been alerted to it.
The corrected information has been posted by the very patient and prompt Ed Davidson, and it looks like it is going to be a really engaging exhibit! Hope you check back later on to see more of the beautiful pieces that are coming in!

http://www.woodturner.org/gallery/RestfulPlaces.pdf

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Thank goodness for your sharp eyes, fellows! I am mortified by the error, but glad to have been alerted to it.

I think this actually falls under the heading of everyone's a critic, but we do like your participation here - thanks:D

What Steve said. The replacement seems drastically watered-down from the original (yes, I saved both versions), but looks more professional now too.

Joe

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I think this actually falls under the heading of everyone's a critic, but we do like your participation here - thanks:D

I hesitate responding to this at all as I'm not wishing to escalate this thread into anything more than I originally intended with my first post - which was to alert the person at AAW that there appeared to be a couple readability errors in the first version of the announcement.

To trivialize my concerns as "everyone's a critic" is unjustified and following that with "but we do like your participation here - thanks" feels like a condescending pat on the head. I wasn't nitpicking on word choice or document layout or inappropriate writing conventions; I was pointing out what appeared to be transcription errors.

Owen,
I think you were right to point out the "transcription error". Reading something like the original version is like fingernails on a chalkboard!

Back