• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A time to heal

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little over 3 and a half years ago I was given a old craftsman lathe for Chirstmas. Shortly after that I joined the Carolina Mountain Woodturners and shortly after that the American Association of Woodturners I have been priviledged, by being a member of such great organizations, to have taken classes with the some of the greatest people on earth. Binh Pho who taught me the pain of life can be beautiful art. Malcolm Tibbetts who is one of the most intelligent men I have ever met. Clay Foster who taught me to let my soul shine through my work and many other brillent individuals who showed me I could cut my work in half, use a little epoxy, carve a little, paint a little or just let the beauty of the wood shine through.
The recent events of our Association have sadden me greatly. I have seen great men and women that I admire divided. Thankfully the problem was resolved and the healing process has begun, Unfortunely I still hear people say this one was right and this one was wrong, or worse yet slander someones great name. It is time for a new day. When we forget the past and reach out our hands to our offended brothers and move forward to a greater AAW and lasting friendships.
Don Peek
Proud to be member # 34488

Last edited:
I appreciate your optimism, Don. Others, however, like myself, see healing as a growth process . . . involving a revised set of Bylaws mandating integrity and fair play, a clearly established Policies and Procedures manual which presents order to how AAW business is conducted, and new leadership. I look forward to the day when the healing process commences for all of us.

R

Ron Sardo

Oh no! I think I'm being flamed by my good friend, Ron Sardo! Time for the thread to be locked. ;)

Playing the the rabble rouser again Al?
You would know it if I was flaming you. :cool2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Don, as a full time turner and a member of the AAW since the 80s I know all the folks you are talking about. The ones who can talk to you of what creative things can flow through you into the material world. People that are so unselfish as to share all they have. You are right that this group (The AAW) has attracted some of the finest artistic minds. And some damned fine turners too. The term sad can almost be an understatement. Its some pretty deep pain. I have people in my life I am civil to. But past issues changed the way we were so to speak. In this case I am not sure what will happen. I am hoping the agree to disagree will be the order of the day. If so then a fundamental change in friendships will not happen. And some of the issues are being taken care of to bring a small craft groups bylaws more into line with the very large worldwide group it has become. There are only a couple of people I can think of that may hold it against me that I made a choice to support the board. A board full of top notch turners and fine people. And the other side in this matter is also full of top notch turners and fine people. Thats the pain. So, an olive branch and a toast to friends.

Website
www.turningnick.com
Kelly,
The pain you discussed from the previous posts does not come from the actions of June 21st. It comes from an attempt to mend fences and move forward. One man on one side of the fence asked another man on the other side of the fence, to be on the bylaws committee. The BOD should have seen this as an example on how to move forward. Instead, somebody removed the second man from the bylaws committee. Nobody has taken responsibility for the action.

For many of us, it shows the BOD is only interested in moving forward without those on the other side of the fence.

Don, as a full time turner and a member of the AAW since the 80s I know all the folks you are talking about. The ones who can talk to you of what creative things can flow through you into the material world. People that are so unselfish as to share all they have. You are right that this group (The AAW) has attracted some of the finest artistic minds. And some damned fine turners too. The term sad can almost be an understatement. Its some pretty deep pain. I have people in my life I am civil to. But past issues changed the way we were so to speak. In this case I am not sure what will happen. I am hoping the agree to disagree will be the order of the day. If so then a fundamental change in friendships will not happen. And some of the issues are being taken care of to bring a small craft groups bylaws more into line with the very large worldwide group it has become. There are only a couple of people I can think of that may hold it against me that I made a choice to support the board. A board full of top notch turners and fine people. And the other side in this matter is also full of top notch turners and fine people. Thats the pain. So, an olive branch and a toast to friends.

I believe that pretty well sums it up Nick. I don't see much different in the way business is conducted from say, two months ago.

R

Ron Sardo

For many of us, it shows the BOD is only interested in moving forward without those on the other side of the fence.

FACT: Tom Wirsing asked me to included Phil Brennion (A MAG Advisor) and when I did, Phil told me he had other commitments and couldn't help.

FACT: Dale Larson has proposed some strong wording for the bylaws that will give the membership a lot more power than it has now. He is more of a advocate for the membership then you realize.

FACT: I've been told that two of the committee where MAG supporters. Truth is I never asked them because it is not important. We are all AAW Members.

FACT: There is no longer a bloody fence. Mary signed the agreement and took the fence down when she did. Get over it, the fight is over.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of these nonsensical conspiracy theories.

Instead of wasting your time looking for a fight, why don't you read the bylaws and make suggestions by article number with actual text for changes. You would accomplish a lot more if you do.

Website
www.turningnick.com
FACT: Al was removed from the bylaw committee.

FACT: Nobody is saying by who & why.

FACT: Tom Wirsing asked me to included Phil Brennion (A MAG Advisor) and when I did, Phil told me he had other commitments and couldn't help.

FACT: Dale Larson has proposed some strong wording for the bylaws that will give the membership a lot more power than it has now. He is more of a advocate for the membership then you realize.

FACT: I've been told that two of the committee where MAG supporters. Truth is I never asked them because it is not important. We are all AAW Members.

FACT: There is no longer a bloody fence. Mary signed the agreement and took the fence down when she did. Get over it, the fight is over.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of these nonsensical conspiracy theories.

Instead of wasting your time looking for a fight, why don't you read the bylaws and make suggestions by article number with actual text for changes. You would accomplish a lot more if you do.

Folks, let's get this thread back on track, please. It has strayed too far from the original post.

R

Ron Sardo

FACT: Al was removed from the bylaw committee.

FACT: Nobody is saying by who & why.

Yes he was, and I clearly explained to Al the reasons why he was removed when I spoke to him on the phone.

Thanks for the clarification Ron; now Who removed Al?
I'm all for open/transparent discussions.

I don't understand why you don't ask Al

Ron . . . I can't answer that question. I don't know the answer.

You may have missed the email that I sent asking for clarification.

When we originally spoke over the telephone, I thought you said that Dale Larson did not want me on the Bylaws Committee.

In my email, I stated that I sometimes have a difficult time on the telephone because of my hearing loss. Your post at the MAG site said that it wasn't Dale. I then emailed you and asked who was responsible. I don't recall seeing a response to my inquiry. So, who then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back