1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forum migration is complete. We had some issues with the hosting provider and I had to restore the server a 2nd time so if you happened to post from about 9:30pm - 11pm PST your post may have been removed. Please double check to see if its still there. If you have any issues post them in the technical support forum or email the AAW Forum Staff at forum_moderator@aawforum.org. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A new scam

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Michael Nathal, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Michael Nathal

Michael Nathal

Location (City & State):
    Strongsville, Ohio
    Many in our club are getting an email with a request to donate to support the health care costs of a young girl in Oregon. Although at first glance it appears to be addressed from our club, the actual sender's address reveals it as a scam. My question is if others belonging to other clubs are seeing anything similar. Also, how did they get access to club members email addresses?

2. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Location (City & State):
    Jasper, Alabama
    Thanks for the heads up Michael. Lot of that going in now......You have to really be aware of scams these days.

3. Donna Banfield

Donna Banfield

Location (City & State):
    Derry, NH
    My guess is that club web pages, which are viewable by the public, typically include names and email addresses of club officers. Anyone/bot, searching for names/email addresses will pick those up. The only way to deal with this is to have club officer names/email addresses hidden unless you're a member. Sort of defeats the purpose of having an open and inviting environment...but this is the technological world in which we live :(

Some clubs have taken the step of using a general email address (not connected to a particular person) for informational purposes, such as how do I join, can I attend a meeting, etc. This is then monitored by specific club members assigned for this task.

Dwight R Rutherford likes this.
  4. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    I had to purchase a special program for my contact page on my website. I was getting hundreds of spam emails. You need something to fool the bots, prevent them from collecting your address. I have a very simple solution, you have to answer how much is 5 plus 5. So far, bots collecting emails can't answer that.

5. Michael Nathal

Michael Nathal

Location (City & State):
    Strongsville, Ohio
    There was an older scam, last year I think, that many different clubs experienced. There are a couple of threads on this site covering that. As best I can tell, that one was restricted to AAW chapter officers. This new one is going to club members also.

6. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I get junk emails all the time. My provider can't/won't block them; get an error message that they can't be blocked. I put them in spam but the keep appearing.