1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The forums will be down Monday evening for a few hours while they are being migrated to another hosting platform. The migration is going to require a DNS change so it may take up to 4 hours for you to be able to get to the forums again. The outage will start around 9pm PST on 11/30. If you have any access issues Tuesday morning you can email the forum admins @ forum_moderator@aawforum.org. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

A more narrow skew chisel

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Perry Hilbert, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Perry Hilbert

Perry Hilbert

Location (City & State):
    Windsor, Pennsylvania
    I use the skew chisel for most of my turning, and I have skews from 3/4 to 2 inch. However even those are too big for some of the small figures I have been turning. I need a skew closer to 3/8 wide. The problem is that most smaller skews are also very thin. They vibrate and chatter too much. Does anyone make a heavy duty narrow skew, or this something a bedan would cover better.

2. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    For my finials I use a 1/2” crown skew and a 1/4” skew made from a round HSS rod.
    I think I bought it from Packard long long time ago but is easy to make.

Most of my use of the 1/4” tool is with a forefinger supporting the work to turn beads on finials.
    It rolls nicely.

3. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    I love my 3/8" skew I made from a 3/8" spade bit. Some call them paddle bits. I simply cut the points off at an angle and then ground it to a skew shape. The round shank makes it easy to roll on the tool rest and they are good quality steel. My bit had a hole in the center I guess for pulling wire so I cut it just below that hole.

4. RichColvin

RichColvin

Location (City & State):
    Dublin, OH
    Home Page:
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  5. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    Have you looked at the Sorby modular micro tools? I bought a set of basic tools that comes with a small aluminum handle. You can also buy the skew separately. It might be smaller than what you are looking for, but I have found all sorts of uses for thee tiny tools, especially the ¼" skew. I would suspect that if a skew is chattering it could be the result of coming off the bevel or pushing the tool when it is dull, but I'm far from an expert with the skew.

[​IMG]

https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/wood...ing-tools/modular-micro-tools/b888-8-skew-6mm