• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A more narrow skew chisel

I use the skew chisel for most of my turning, and I have skews from 3/4 to 2 inch. However even those are too big for some of the small figures I have been turning. I need a skew closer to 3/8 wide. The problem is that most smaller skews are also very thin. They vibrate and chatter too much. Does anyone make a heavy duty narrow skew, or this something a bedan would cover better.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
For my finials I use a 1/2” crown skew and a 1/4” skew made from a round HSS rod.
I think I bought it from Packard long long time ago but is easy to make.

Most of my use of the 1/4” tool is with a forefinger supporting the work to turn beads on finials.
It rolls nicely.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I love my 3/8" skew I made from a 3/8" spade bit. Some call them paddle bits. I simply cut the points off at an angle and then ground it to a skew shape. The round shank makes it easy to roll on the tool rest and they are good quality steel. My bit had a hole in the center I guess for pulling wire so I cut it just below that hole.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I use the skew chisel for most of my turning, and I have skews from 3/4 to 2 inch. However even those are too big for some of the small figures I have been turning. I need a skew closer to 3/8 wide. The problem is that most smaller skews are also very thin. They vibrate and chatter too much. Does anyone make a heavy duty narrow skew, or this something a bedan would cover better.

Have you looked at the Sorby modular micro tools? I bought a set of basic tools that comes with a small aluminum handle. You can also buy the skew separately. It might be smaller than what you are looking for, but I have found all sorts of uses for thee tiny tools, especially the ¼" skew. I would suspect that if a skew is chattering it could be the result of coming off the bevel or pushing the tool when it is dull, but I'm far from an expert with the skew.

B888_8_888_8_Modular_Micro_Skew.jpg

https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/wood...ing-tools/modular-micro-tools/b888-8-skew-6mm

Back