• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Handy Mnemonic ... And A Coincidence???

After watching a Stuart Batty video on his 7 fundamentals, I started noodling on his comments about lathe speeds. As I understood him, you want to turn at a speed that perhaps makes you a little apprehensive, but definitely not scared, characterizing the difference as one that might result in a workpiece bouncing off a faceshield vs going right through the helmet. At one point he characterized that at about 40 miles per hour, surface speed, of course.

So, a quick spreadsheet later, I had surface feet per minute for 1" - 20" diameter pieces, 100 - 3600 RPM. I highlighted those in red that were over 40MPH ... which turns out is 3520 SFM! Now that's an interesting coincidence ... at least if you have a PM 3520 lathe. I'm not sure whether that's really a coincidence, but it's sure a handy mnemonic.

Anyone know the source of the PM model number itself?

(SFM = RPM x Diameter in Inches x PI / 12)
(SFM / 88 = MPH)

Last edited:
Anyone know the source of the PM model number itself?

Powermatic's lathe model numbering system is: first two numbers are the lathe maximum distance between centers (longest spindle you can turn) and the 3rd and 4th numbers are the swing (largest diameter bowl you can turn) both in inches.

So PM 3520 has 35" btwn centers with a 20" swing. The same system is used to name their other lathes.

Very interesting coincidence though, 40 mph = 3520 fpm!

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
You've given me a great way to remember it.

Back