1. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

6 X 6 X 3 Turning Blanks, What to Make

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by William Rogers, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:51 AM.

1. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    I have several 6 x 6 x 3 and 6 x 6 x 4 Exotic turning blanks. The only thing I can think of to make from them are a small bowls. The 6 x 6 x4 is pink ivory, a couple of purpleheart, desert ironwood, and mystery wood.

2. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021 at 11:41 AM
    William Rogers likes this.
  3. R Henrickson

R Henrickson

Location (City & State):
    Kentucky
    Seed jars are good option. Lidded bowls might also.

4. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    I think of hollow forms and lidded boxes mostly. You could get some smaller bowls out of them, depending on the grain orientation of the blanks. End grain bowls also possible. They are a bit small to cut into 1/4 lengths and then turn smaller boxes out of, but the smaller ones are better for threaded boxes.

robo hippy

5. Dave Delo

Dave Delo

Location (City & State):
    Ambridge, PA
    Offset turning could be another option. Here's one I did a couple weeks ago out of walnut for our local chapter instant gallery.
    ec2.jpg

6. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    I think you have an opportunity to do a bowl design with some height. An umeke form is one thought, or perhaps a nearly spherical bowl with rolly polly bottom. Take a sheet of paper and draw a 6x4 (or 6x3) rectangle, then sketch some bowl cross sections that make use of the box.

7. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    Thanks. I didn’t know of seed jars. I’ll do one of those and a lidded box. I do have the Axminister eccentric chuck that would make a offset bowl easy to do. Still interested in other ideas.

8. Lawrence Duckworth

Lawrence Duckworth

Location (City & State):
    Clermont, Georgia
    theses are about 5" dia.

Attached Files:

9. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    Hmm, another thought, the 'emerging' bowl concept. I tried a couple after watching a Mike Waldt video about it. It was fun, and different...

robo hippy

10. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    Tell me about those tops/finials?

11. Lawrence Duckworth

Lawrence Duckworth

Location (City & State):
    Clermont, Georgia
    I textured a 2" metal hemisphere and ground a taper on a 1/2"dia. metal rod. welded the two together and glued it to the wood. The ring is 1/8"x1/2" flat (available at HD or lowes) textured, sanded and buffed, ...glued to the wood. The texturing is done with a torch...
    >source for the metal hemisphere..... https://www.kingmetalscatalog.com

William, I'm reluctant to be more specific without knowing more about your metal working background. Welding with a torch requires another volume of safety knowledge:rolleyes: ... I'd be glad to detail things like that to you privately, email, etc.

12. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    Don’t worry I won’t be trying to duplicate. I have a small wire welder, but not a lot of welding skill. I sold my torch equipment years ago. Just wanted a how/what as they make an impressive turning.

13. Lawrence Duckworth

Lawrence Duckworth

Location (City & State):
    Clermont, Georgia
    William, I'm not at all worried about duplication. it really is about safety. id hate for someone to read hoe to do it and start a fire. My Daughter is a safety Engineer for a large company and she hounds me all the time:D.... can you tell me the flash point for saw dust?... she can and will:D

14. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    Lawrence, I understand what you are saying. I was a engineer for turbine engines used in helicopters. Safety is #1.
    Your work is just several levels way above. Fascinating to look at.

15. Lawrence Duckworth

Lawrence Duckworth

Location (City & State):
    Clermont, Georgia
    oh cool!!! my Dad was machine repair at Prat. they had an open house years ago and the F-16's flew over and went straight up....was fun fun fun!

16. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    I don't know the flash point of saw dust, but love the videos of saw dust cannons on You Tube.... Major POOF!

robo hippy

17. Lawrence Duckworth

Lawrence Duckworth

Location (City & State):
    Clermont, Georgia
    I'm "woke" to punkin chunkin :D

18. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    Getting back to your original question, I don't have a recommendation for what to make, but I do have a design guideline: Don't let the dimensions of the turning blank determine the form of your project. Beginning woodturners often feel compelled to maximize the use of wood at the expense of good proportions. It's a tough temptation to overcome for a frugal woodturner.