• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3M Airstream PAPR system

I'm considering paying $700 for the 3M airstream PAPR system. To me that's a lot of money so I'd appreciate any feedback from those who have used this system. I've used an Air Shield for years but have never liked the filter being right up front where much of the shavings and dust are directed. Any feedback appreciated as well as suggestions about other systems.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
It's considered the best there is, and they charge appropriately.

Honestly though, it's still cheaper then a lung transplant

3m parp system

This is the best of the best. Very expensive if purchase new!!!
Check the market on the internet auctions, I purchased a complete parp system for less than $300. with shipping. This is the way to go, surely
save the lungs Good luck!
Don

Website
www.docwks.com
I have and use one. I like it very much, it's a bit heavy but it's beats the heck out of problems with wood allergies. I use the hepa filters and you can get new ones very resonable on ebay if you keep an eye out. Also make sure you get the head gear you want. There are several types and make sure you get the one that meets your needs. I got mine off of ebay. Took about 4 months to find the right deal.

I like mine alot. It takes some time getting used to it and am not always pleased when I can't hear my music in the background. The helmet is very comfortable and the weight isn't too much to bear. Mine has the integrated headphone cups for noise abatment - good to have when you need them.

3M Air Stream

Where is the intake filter located on the helmet. What type of helmet would those of you who are using the Air Stream suggest. Thanks.

Website
www.docwks.com
The intake is on the waist/belt where the filters are, along with the battery and air pump. The positive air flow pushes air from your waist pump through a hose attached to the back of the helmet, into the top of the helmet and blows down the front of the mask. This mean the air flows out, not into the helmet/mask area. It keeps me cool in the summer, I sometimes wear a head cover in the cooler months in Florida. I don't have the ear covers so Jazz flows freely unless I'm carving. I went from a radio to a CD to my ipod nano, the speakers stayed the same, set of old Altec Lansing PC speakers that work very well. Helmet type, I'll have to look tonight and get the model number. It's the full helmet that will take an impact.

Last edited:

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Bill,

The 3M Airstream has the motor/fan and filter in the helmet itself. The battery is on the belt.

The 3M Breathe Easy has a belt mounted battery, motor/fan/filter unit and a hose to bring the air to the helmet.

Website
www.docwks.com
My Bad

Alan your right, sorry. All I saw was 3m and PAPR. Although I really do like my rig, it can be a bit of a pain getting it on and off. But it's worth it after some of the reactions I've had to tropical wood.
Happy Holidays! :eek:

Last edited:
Website
www.splintergarden.com
Airstream

I use the Airmate, the one with the filter pack on a belt. I highly recommend one of these systems if you're in the wood /dust making for the long run. They are quite expensive but like someone else said (paraphrasing), what are your lungs worth ?
Good luck.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
You might want to look around for a used 3M Airmate. It has a bit bigger filter and there are still a lot of parts available. You can easily adapt them to regular AA or rechargeables, and they have a HEPA filter available

I bought it

I bought the air stream and managed to save a little money on the smart charger by buying it from a company on ebay new for $69 including shipping.

What about unpowered?

I didn't realize this thread was a month old when I first read it, but it brought up a question I hope someone can answer.

I realize the paper-style dust masks don't hold a candle to the pricey powered respirators that the other posters recommended, but how do they compare to the standard unpowered respirators ($30-$40 price range in the big box stores)? They claim to be designed for working with toxic fumes, so I figured if they can catch fumes they can probably catch sawdust too, no?

Is it mostly a comfort thing, or are the two products really designed for two completely different things and it's a mistake to use one for the other? I'm gradually getting more and more paranoid about keeping the bad stuff out of my lungs...

Thanks,

Dan

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I didn't realize this thread was a month old when I first read it, but it brought up a question I hope someone can answer.

I realize the paper-style dust masks don't hold a candle to the pricey powered respirators that the other posters recommended, but how do they compare to the standard unpowered respirators ($30-$40 price range in the big box stores)? They claim to be designed for working with toxic fumes, so I figured if they can catch fumes they can probably catch sawdust too, no?

Is it mostly a comfort thing, or are the two products really designed for two completely different things and it's a mistake to use one for the other? I'm gradually getting more and more paranoid about keeping the bad stuff out of my lungs...

Thanks,

Dan

The difference is that the unpowered rubber masks with the cannisters attached are not particularly comfortable, hotter than all heck in warm weather, even hotter than heck in hot weather, and provide no face protection which means that you will still need a face shield which makes them even hotter yet. If yo wear glasses, there may be a problem wearing them with the mask strapped to your face. In addition, the glasses are likely to fog up from all the heat.

I have the 3M Airstream AS400 and it is very comfortable. I find it to be lightweight and no problem wearing it all day long. The battery is large and very heavy, but it attaches to your belt. The battery will last for at least 8 hours before recharging. The Airstream uses a large sock type HEPA filter which fits in the top of the helmet. The blower which is in the back of the helmet provides approximately 10 CFM of air flow which is directed down across the wearer's face which provides as much cooling as one could expect. On top of all that, it has a very sturdy face shield with full head protection that is much better than the typical flip-up shield. Your glasses will not fog up when wearing the Airstream.

Some types of wood really bother my sinuses and will give me a splitting headache. That is the main reason that I got the Airstream. When I wear the Airstream, the filtration is so good that I cannot even smell the wood and my sinuses do not plug up.

By the way, you are not paranoid, just exercising good judgment.

Last edited:

Dust masks collect or deflect dust. They do not have charcoal to adsorb organic vapors. Since the bulk of the nasties are carried on the dust, most people find them sufficient to their needs. There are also purely airborne components created by crushing the wood or heating it, releasing vapors which can irritate your nasopharynx, stimulate release of pulmonary mucous or cause asthma. If you have trouble with them, you'll benefit from charcoal filters. Or air from somewhere else delivered to provide a positive pressure to the mask. Connects you to a hose, but does not oblige you to create negative pressure to breathe, as some masks can.

If you feel you just have to cut woods with irritating extractives or oils, armor up against absorbing through the skin as well. Otherwise, start with dust deflection/collection, and escalate as required.

Dust masks collect or deflect dust. They do not have charcoal to adsorb organic vapors. Since the bulk of the nasties are carried on the dust, most people find them sufficient to their needs. There are also purely airborne components created by crushing the wood or heating it, releasing vapors which can irritate your nasopharynx, stimulate release of pulmonary mucous or cause asthma. If you have trouble with them, you'll benefit from charcoal filters. Or air from somewhere else delivered to provide a positive pressure to the mask. Connects you to a hose, but does not oblige you to create negative pressure to breathe, as some masks can.

I agree that my concern is really about not inhaling the dust. I guess another way of wording my question would be to say "If I use a charcoal-based respirator, am I still keeping the dust out just as well, even though it's not as comfortable as a powered system?" I will most likely move to a powered system eventually, but the timeframe for such a move would probably be driven by whether or not my $30 respirator keeps "the nasties" out.

I appreciate the discussion. From what I'm reading, it sounds like they *are* two different beasts, but that the primary benefit is in comfort. (And yes, I do wear glasses, so a respirator, plus glasses, plus a face shield can make for quite a contraption.)

Thanks...

I agree that my concern is really about not inhaling the dust. I guess another way of wording my question would be to say "If I use a charcoal-based respirator, am I still keeping the dust out just as well, even though it's not as comfortable as a powered system?"

You CAN, if you put a dust filter on/over the charcoal pads. You're probably working at 95% with just the charcoal, since the dust will cling to the first thing it hits when there's not enough pressure to pull it on. Compare the intake area of the respirator to your nostrils, where the differential is low enough to trap dust on the hairs and you'll get some idea. Broader flows are lower speed.

A powered system does the inhaling for you. Somewhere at your waist or behind your head you have a filter pack with fiber and possible charcoal, just as with the respirator. Same as the respirator, it'll work best at trapping with broad inflow area and low pressure differential. There's a lesson there. Your filters will need replacement more often if you draw large amounts of contaminated air across them, and they will be less effective if the pressure is sufficient to keep a particle airborne rather than letting it settle. Manufacturers sell filters, so they don't mind.

One good solution

Greg, I am in complete agreement with you as to the importance of a good respirator system. In my view money spent on this should be an integral part of any initial lathe/equipment purchase. I spent some years teaching a course in occupational health and safety and know something about what can happen if you don't have respiratory+ impact protection. I have heard a few good horror stories from others.

My own solution to the problem can be seen on page 25 of the April 2010 (Issue#2) of American Woodturner (have a look at the online Journal in the Members' area). I know that this setup looks weird, but I can assure you that it is very comfortable, completely silent, and gives me total protection from any dust or odors (I can turn wet walnut with it on and smell nothing). The cost of the Triton is around $300, and it is about another $200 for the 200CFM centrifugal squirrel-cage fan (I can dig out the make and model if you wish to contact me). Together with the ducting (cheap) this is still a little less than the $700 you are contemplating, and as you point out, a lot cheaper than trying to fix damaged lungs. I can wear this system all day without discomfort, and in four years' use I have never even needed to change the $2 furnace-type filter over the fan, as it draws clean house air from another room. You might consider this option.

Happy turning,

Malcolm

Back