• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3/4 inch bowl gouge sharping

My Wolverine Grinding System is too small to sharpen my 3/4 Inch bow gouge. How do you or others sharpen these large bowl gouges? My freehand sharpening is not adequate.

John you were selected at random. How do I start a conversation on this sight without identifying specific individuals?

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Interesting. My 20+ year old Vari-grind jig mikes out at about 0.81 inches and fits my 3/4" gouge comfortably. Perhaps you could enlarge yours by a bit of grinding with a dremel tool or hand drill.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My Wolverine Grinding System is too small to sharpen my 3/4 Inch bow gouge. How do you or others sharpen these large bowl gouges? My freehand sharpening is not adequate.

John you were selected at random. How do I start a conversation on this sight without identifying specific individuals?

If you go to the Main Index Page for the forum and then look under AAW Forum Rules and Help you can click on Help and FAQ's.

The very first item in the Help and FAQs tells you How to Start a Conversation. <-- Click on the link to go directly there if you don't see it.

You will need to use the full username of the person who you are wanting to contact (we have nearly 500 forum members whose first name is John.) If you want to alert a forum member to see a message that you have posted, you can put the "at" sign in front of their username, for example @Kurt Cozens . As you are typing the name several hints will appear. If you see the name that you want click on it.

As with Dennis, my vari-grind fits a 3/4" without a problem. Maybe Oneway came out with a smaller version recently.
For what it's worth, I used both the 3/4" Glaser and Thompson for years. Now that they are nubs, I plan to keep the handles and replace with 5/8" Dway.
Reason: I'm not a bowl guy and never venture out far enough over the toolrest to justify a 3/4" - I'm guessing that a 5/8" in those massive shot-filled handles will work just fine.
Perhaps guys doing big bowls need the size of a 3/4" that will go 3"++ over a rest - I never go over an inch as I only use bowl gouges to do the outside of hollow-forms.
To make a point, my gouge of choice was a 3/8" for Planet Mesquite - I only used the larger gouges in the "ker-chunkin" stage and the 5/8" was every bit as appropriate as the 3/4".
Actually my larger concern was the log snatching part of my anatomy - to hell with the gouge.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

Kurt......are you using the vari-grind jig, or the v-arm for sharpening your 3/4" gouge?

-----odie-----

jig1.jpg jig1.jpg jig1.jpg jig2.jpg Make yourself one. It should take all of 40 min to make one . take a block of wood about 35mm x 50mm x 50mm. Drill a 19mm 3/4" hole for the chisel to go through. On the top 50mm face drill and tap for an Cap screw to hold the chisel in place, on the bottom 50mm face drill at about 45 deg a hole for a 6mm (1/4" rod). Glue a rod about 150mm 200mm (6 8") in the 45 deg hole. Note all the holes drilled must be in the same plane ( I do this by clamping the block to the side of a square block/ angle plate and drilling in a drill press)

Now place the chisel in the holder and bend the rod, and or cut the rod to length so that it approximates the Varigrind and adjust. you now have a jig (very similar to an Ellsworth jig) specifically for your 3/4 " bowl gouge

Last edited:
Back