• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2 learning points to ponder

I used to think there was little difference in sanding results when using my 14.4v handheld vs. the corded drill. I preferred the non-cord because of the safety factor alone. Then, a couple days ago I picked up my 3/8 drill with a velcro pad and sanding disc and was amazed at the efficiency and effectiveness of the drill-power. My ability to rid the bowls of tearout and other blemishes was suddenly enhanced.
Also, my little brass tooth brush is frequently used to clean the sanding pads and they last a lot longer and are more effective.
Try 'em, you will be impressed (perhaps). Phil :)

Ditch that little brass toothbrush (except for cleaning up bark and such on the piece) and get a gum stick, Phil. It's a big stick of gummy rubber that you use like an eraser. Just nail or glue it to your bench and run the disk on it for a second or two and it will clean it right up. Won't degrade the cutting edge on the paper quite as quick as the toothbrush. Also, one stick will last you years.

IMHO
Dietrich

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
phil I had the same results when I swithed from a battery drill to electric but it wasn't removing the tearout that was the problem. I was getting sanding marks. By speeding the sanding disc speed I was able to reduce sanding marks. I try to make the surface of the sandpaper move faster than the surface of the wood. This seems to work for me.
I use a wire brush and a crepe rubber block. The rubber works most of the time but some woods gum up the sandpaper. For these I hit it occasionlly with the wire brush.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Only problem with a wire brush is that it tends to remove grit also. The main reason is with heat the bond between the grit and the backing is weakened and allows for easier removal of the particles.

I am a gum man myself.

Back