• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

vibration

1. Jon Rista

Vibration Troubles turning 4x4x11 Vase

I've been working on learning how to turn vases recently. I've turned a few, smaller ones around 4x4xY or just some small logs turned into twig vases. I'm trying to turn a 4x4x11 piece of Sycamore right now. The outside is shaped, and now I've turned my attention to the inside. I've been...
  2. C

Chuck Trouble

I have a 42-inch long wood lathe that I got new on Ebay in December 2015. It came with a drive center and 6-inch faceplate. I bought a grizzly 4-jaw chuck with a spindle adapter. When turning between centers or with the faceplate on the lathe, it runs fine, but when the chuck is on the lathe...
  3. John Torchick

Vibration while turning

I'm playing around with a piece of cherry about 2 inches in diameter, 5 inches long in a SuperNova2 chuck. I'm turning end grain with a 3/8" Benjamin's Best bowl gouge. I have the tool rest set at 90 degrees to the bed. When I start the cut, outside to inside, I hear/feel vibration. I...
  4. John Torchick

New lathe!

I got my new Rikon 70-050VS lathe a while back but remodeling has taken a lot of my time. This has interfered with important things like fishing, hunting, turning. I started it up yesterday to rough-turn a grip for a rod I'm building as an auction item for a fundraiser. I was impressed with...
Back