• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

vase

1. spalted pecan vase

spalted pecan vase

2nd of two spalted pecan turnings with ebony accent bands
  2. Yellow Flower Vase

Yellow Flower Vase

Aspen 5.5 x 10 inches
  3. Walnut crotch Vase

Walnut crotch Vase

Walnut Critch Vase
  4. Segmented large vase.

Segmented large vase.

51705 pieces of oak, chestnut, afzelia, padauk, wenge and meranti.
  5. Spalted Elm Burl Vase 13" x 4 1/2"

Spalted Elm Burl Vase 13" x 4 1/2"

This is another piece of the wood from the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain, MA
  6. "Flower Vase" Series #21

"Flower Vase" Series #21

Cottonwood 13.5 inches tall A slightly different band on this one and a few bees to find.
  7. Wave Dancer

Wave Dancer

Wave Dancer From the time I was child of single digit years, I have always been thrilled to see porpoises. That has not changed, so it seems natural to me that I would choose a porpoise as the subject of my first foray into the world of embellishing surfaces with carving. This one was done...
  8. Celebrate the Wood

Celebrate the Wood

A mesquite vase inspired by Native American pottery. Basket illusion embellishments under the rim and up from the base. The rim and base are both inked black. The Mesquite has nice color and a sapwood feature in the open wood. 6" x 6". Finished with original Waterlox.
  9. "Flower Vase" series #20

"Flower Vase" series #20

Cottonwood 12.75 x 6.75 inches #20!!! I am surprised I even made another, they really kick my butt...oof!
  10. Vase for SWAT Raffle

Vase for SWAT Raffle

A southwestern shape vase made from Texas Mesquite. Faux basket weave features using ink and acrylic paint. 11" tall and 10" diameter. Embellishments were sealed with acrylic spray and the open wood was finished with Tung oil finish. This was a donation to SWAT for their 2023 raffle. Celebrate...
  11. Chock Full of Nuggets

Chock Full of Nuggets

A Mesquite vase with a southwestern shape. There is one band of faux basket weave which includes turquoise nuggets and three other dyed bands with nuggets. The rim and base are also dyed using archival black ink. I call the turquoise pieces nuggets for lack of another term. They are polished...
  12. Mesquite with a Glow

Mesquite with a Glow

A Mesquite vase with a southwestern style. 10" wide by 9" tall. A branch junction with surrounding voids was filled with mineral inlay. A band of faux basket weave was colored with archival ink and acrylic paint in a Native American style pattern intended to complement the shape and inlay...
  13. Autumn Vase

Autumn Vase

Cottonwood, 11 inches tall
  14. Bigleaf Maple Pot/Vase

Bigleaf Maple Pot/Vase

7" x 5". Got alot of tearout when hollowing interior, had to do alot more sanding inside the vase than I would have liked. It was worth it in the end.
  15. Independence Day

Independence Day

Happy 4th July
  16. "Flower Vase" series, #13

"Flower Vase" series, #13

Aspen, 13 inches high.
  17. Tiny Bud Vase

Tiny Bud Vase

5" x 2.375". Polymerized Tung Oil finish. Beall Buffed. Not hollow. Wood species unknown by me, but maybe you?
  18. "Flower Vase" series #12

"Flower Vase" series #12

Poplar, 5.25 inches high
  19. "Flower Case" series #11

"Flower Case" series #11

Aspen, 8 inches tall The flowers are intended to imply the Columbine flower. I used acrylic paints, India ink, branding, pyrography, and semi gloss lacquer topcoat
  20. "Flower Vase" series #8

"Flower Vase" series #8

Poplar, 7.5x5.5 inches
Back