• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

turning

1. Ornaments in abundance

Ornaments in abundance

Ornaments with Spalted ball and Chestnut stains. Finials in Indian rosewood, red heart and crepe Myrtle
  2. Blue in one piece

Blue in one piece

Turned and drilled as one piece of Bradford Pear. Finished are chestnut stains and Pebeo paint. Glitter added inside.
  3. Three legged pecan

Three legged pecan

Spalted pecan with three carved legs
  4. Chris Chartier

Chris Chartier

Hi there. I guess I'm the newest newbie (read that as "complete beginner") here having just registered yesterday. I started getting into woodworking this last year and have only been doing some basic woodworking to try to build my skills up. I've known for years I eventually wanted to dabble in...
  5. C

Great Gift item from the lathe - Wine Caddies - By Dick Sing

These wine caddies are great gift items and are fun to make. The simple function of them allows for a lot of creativity in their design and style. Dick Sing shows you how to turn them and shows you a variety of styling choices. View: https://youtu.be/hQPs4XEF1mE Cheers! Chris DeHut
  6. John Torchick

Sawing wood for turning?

I keep thinking that there was something on the forum or in the magazine giving guidelines for cutting logs for blanks. Anyone know of this? Maybe something on Youtube? Had loads of wood that need turning. Thanks.
  7. M

Mark Silver

Hi all, Glad to be here and looking forward to learning from others. About me: I'm a business technologist by day, helping folks with IT, risk and security. I do that so I can afford (mostly) my hobby for woodworking and turning. Been doing cabinet making for about 15 years, and turning for 5...
  8. D

Sharpening help please

Hello, I have a 1/2" bowl gouge that I am having trouble sharpening. I have the bevel at approx. 46', but I think the shape is wrong. I have the wolverine grinding jig, but not the varigrind attachment. Can anybody provide some insight here? Am I sharpening as a spindle gouge instead of a bowl...
  9. John Torchick

Bowl turning

I picked up a back issue (February 2018) to reply to a post on another forum. The cover highlighted an article by the noted Glenn Lucas. The article was a very straight-forward approach to turning a bowl. Only thing was his use of four tools; I only have one bowl gouge. Just need to take it easy...
  10. John Torchick

First real turning

Finally got around to turning something besides pens and bee hives. This is cherry that was cut about 5 or 6 years ago. Got some tool marks inside and outside as I jockeyed back and forth between centers and the chuck. Figured out how to part it without the piece flying into the Netherworld. A...
  11. John Torchick

Turning a baseball bat

I was in Louisville, KY for an archery tournament. My wife and I decided to play tourist and see some things even though we lived there for three years. We got in town early and went to the Louisville Slugger plant. Due to the privacy for employees, we weren't allowed to take photos in the...
  12. John Torchick

WIT

Women in turning seems to be catching (no pun intended) on. Several weeks ago, my wife was asking about a scroll saw. I posted this on another forum and got good advice including an offer of a good used scroll saw to get her started. OK, to continue. I had a doctor's appointment at the VA in...
  13. Gerald Lawrence

Oak Burl

This is a piece I picked up when I cut some limbs for a neighbor. I left this a lot thicker than I usually do but in turning there were two long bark inclusions across the tenon. I turned to finish and when it dried there was in some areas a rippled effect that live oak gets when turned this...
  14. John Torchick

Dogwood worth using?

I think I had posted about a dead dogwood tree in the backyard. My son cut it up and stacked it in the burn pile. I went out this morning and looked at the cutoffs. There are several ranging from 2 inches in diameter to about a foot in diameter. The photo is typical of the grain and condition...
  15. John Torchick

Video- Rolling a bead

I was looking at the AAW videos and found one to be interesting. I clicked on "Rolling a Bead Using a Skew" by Richard Findley. However, what I saw was not a skew but what looked like a parting tool. Am I misunderstanding a different terminology in Great Britain? It was a good video, just...
  16. John Torchick

Turning between centers and tools

My grandson took a pen turning class at Woodcraft a few weeks ago. When we were working on a pen, he said that the instructor said to turn the ends of the blank to the proper diameter. OK, I thought about this yesterday while turning pens. I had a blank that I needed to salvage (see my thread...
  17. J

Double sided tape in turning?

In "flat" woodworking, I have used double sided tape to hold pieces together or attach templates so that I can make duplicate parts. Many times the tape will fail during use which caused parts to be damaged. This morning I was watching a Rex & Kip DVD where they attach a piece of wood to a...
  18. E

Delta 46-715

Delta wood lathe model 46-715. Works great. Accessories: 4 inch tool rest 6 inch tool rest 12 inch tool rest 2 knockout bars Faceplate Live center Drive center 2 banjos and banjo extenders Faceplate wrench Would like to get $550 or best offer. Call or Text me at: 860-977-2122 Email...
  19. D

Best woods for thread chasing.

I've been dabbling in thread chasing lately, but have had trouble finding wood that really takes threads. Most of the literature (mainly British, I think) says that box wood (which I think it probably some sort of Buxus) which is a very rare introduced species in the US found in a few counties...
  20. John Torchick

Woodcraft in Chattanooga, TN

Here is a composite of info from a couple of sources: A new Woodcraft store will be located at 5824 Brainerd Road; phone 423-701-8001. :D The location is in or near the Brainerd Village S/C. Wayne Loveless will be the manager- it was noted that he did turning instruction at the previous store...
Back