• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

therming

1. Table Remake

Table Remake

This 20-inch tall table started off with thermed birch legs and a birch veneer on the leg fronts. The leg color was not right and the veneer started to bubble, so I decided it needed a remake. A small image of the original table is shown at the bottom corner. I changed the leg colors to better...
  2. One Planet, One Humanity

One Planet, One Humanity

This 13-inch-tall stool was turned using a variety of techniques including off-center/therming and on-center approaches. In a recent online discussion by Mark Sfirri I was inspired to create human-like figures that form the legs of this stool using therming as a technique. Therming allowed me...
  3. Thermed End Table

Thermed End Table

This 17-inch-tall end table was created from a slab of American Elm with pleasing grain patterns. The three legs were turned simultaneously on a therming rig, producing unique identical shapes with every surface curved. Horizontal pieces were finished with Watco oil and the Poplar legs were...
  4. Thermed Mini-Table

Thermed Mini-Table

This 10-inch tall mini-table was created from a slab of American Elm that had some very interesting grain patterns. The three legs were turned simultaneously on a therming rig, producing unique identical shapes with every surface curved. Horizontal pieces were finished with Watco oil and the...
  5. Triplet #2

Triplet #2

This is the second triplet in my thermed series. This 6-inch tall vase was turned using a technique known as therming. Therming uses a rotary drum mounted on the lathe to turn multiple spindles suspended on separate centerlines. Wood is maple with a cherry center section (sounds like a...
  6. brian horais

Creating a Thermed 3-Legged Stool

Therming is a turning technique that dates back to the 1700s. It has allowed turners to create a number of spindles, legs or ballusters simultaneously using a 'barrel turning' rig on the lathe. This presentation walks you through the steps to make your own therming rig and then create some...
Back