• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

sycamore

1. Sycamore 6.5x2

Sycamore 6.5x2

Twice turned sycamore. Wood was taken from a fallen tree on the local college campus. Kiln dried. Danish oil finish.
  2. Sycamore 6.5x2

Sycamore 6.5x2

Twice turned sycamore. Wood was taken from a fallen tree on the local college campus. Kiln dried. Danish oil finish.
  3. Cyllene

Cyllene

5.5in x 7in hollowed vessel from a spalted sycamore
  4. Cyllene

Cyllene

5.5in x 7in hollowed vessel from a spalted sycamore
  5. Say Cheese!

Say Cheese!

Sycamore, pyrography, metal leaf 10.25x 3.375 Cheesecake, quirky like most cats, favored napping in the bathroom sink. A bit different for me, this simple vessel design was selected to allow emphasis to be on the pyrographic image of Cheesecake rather than the bowl.
  6. zephyr

zephyr

Carved sycamore approx 5 x 5 inches ebonised. Names after a healing wind.
  7. Comet

Comet

Sycamore. Pierced, and pyrographed. Approx 13 inches in diameter.
  8. Hollow form with carved rim

Hollow form with carved rim

Spalted sycamore hollow form. 13-1/2 tall x 5-1/2 wide. Turned from wood salvaged from a local park tree, though the spalting is the accidental result from the bolt being waxed and stored upright on my garage floor. Not sure about the orange spots, but they're pretty cool.
  9. Pierced Sycamore Ornament

Pierced Sycamore Ornament

This Sycamore Ornament has Walnut finials. It won 1st place in our local, South Kansas Woodturners, club contest for both the lightest and the best looking. It measures about 2 1/2" w x 5" h and has a wall thickness ranging from .030 to .050. The design is comprised of the word, NOEL...
  10. Sycamore Hollow Form

Sycamore Hollow Form

A pretty nondescript piece of sycamore. 8-1/2" dia. x 13-3/4" tall. Walls at about 1/8". Finished with antique oil and buffed.
  11. Spiraled Sycamore Vase

Spiraled Sycamore Vase

Finish turned green from section of log, dried, spirally carved and dyed with an airbrush. The piece was allowed to dry and move indoors. Movement was retained due to finish turning the base to retard end checking. Dharma fiber reactive dyes were sealed with 3 coats of Waterlox Tung oil and...
  12. Wave Vase

Wave Vase

This vase was end grain and finish turned from green Sycamore to final dimensions of 6 diameter by 11 high and 3/16 wall thickness. The vase was bagged and allowed to dry and move to its final form over 2 months. The v shaped rim was carved and the wave figures pyrographically added and dyed...
  13. Chess Table

Chess Table

This is the 3rd chess table I made. The squares are 2" squared, maple and mahogany. The pieces are maple and padauk with the kings being about 4.5" tall. They were friction polished and embelished with glass marbles. Not pictured are the checker pieces to match. The board is...
  14. Spalted FOG wood

Spalted FOG wood

Probably sycamore. Warped like crazy, but I like it that way on this bowl. That thing that looks like a tenon on the bottom is actually ... a tenon, but if I remove the tenon, I will have a funnel.
  15. Carnivorous Pod

Carnivorous Pod

Sycamore- turned & carved, carved maple, driftwood, plant fibers, & acrylic paint. Aprox. 10w x 6d x 7t My wife has a wonderful collection of cactus, succulents, and carnivorous plants. In my thought these weird plants have been cross pollinating and this is the result.
  16. Attributes

Attributes

White & black = 11.5d x 9.5t, white & tan = 11.5d x 10.5t Attributes is the result of a collaborative effort between Andrea Tucker-Hody and myself. We prepared these for an upcoming show here in Marin County (CA). Andrea is a master paper artist and she used my sycamore vessel (the...
  17. 3 Vessels

3 Vessels

sycamore, walnut, big leaf maple, largest 10-7/8d x 8, smallest 5d x 5-3/16
  18. Round outside ellipse inside

Round outside ellipse inside

12 inches diameter x 5 inches tall. Sycamore. Oil finish. Turned green and dried with the usual warping except after re-turning the exterior, I noticed the interior shape was by chance almost perfectly symmetrical (I know it's not a true ellipse, but ellipse sounds better than oval so chalk it...
  19. Little Snow White

Little Snow White

5"dx1-7/8"t Sycamore, Scorched & Shellac, Acrylic Paint, Pumpkin Seeds, Red Dye
  20. Little Snow White

Little Snow White

5"dx1-7/8"t Sycamore, Scorched & Shellac, Acrylic Paint, Pumpkin Seeds, Red Dye
Back