• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ray

1. Manta ray with leather under side

Manta ray with leather under side

The body was carved textured and then finished with rub ons ,airbrushed and wire brushed to give the effect of leather .To the touch it feels like leather as well This piece just received 2nd prize in The Taranakai wood skills competition in artistic wood turning
  2. Manta Ray with  leather

Manta Ray with leather

Pohutukawa 150mm square The body was carved textured and then finished with rub ons ,airbrushed and wire brushed to give the effect of leather .To the touch it feels like leather as well This piece just received 2nd prize in The Taranakai wood skills competition in artistic wood turning
  3. Manta ray Splash

Manta ray Splash

In My Manta - Ray series this piece was a labour of love as the hours seemed to dwindle away I lost count of the hours sanding the water ripples The water has had a coat of non grain raising stain sanded back then 26 coats of lacquer to give the pond depth Comments welcome...
  4. Mantaray Splash

Mantaray Splash

Jarrah 12inches square Carved sanded ,sanded ,sanded textured stained lacquered I will be remaking the water drop as I don't think it quite works
  5. Manta Ray Gold

Manta Ray Gold

Description: Manta Ray Gold Ancient kauri, 500mm square 19 inches Another square winged piece in my series (Ho Hum) This piece was textured with a die grinder, 6 wire brushes that fit in a dremel were used to get rid of the furry bits , then lots and lots of copper leaf applied .Nearly two...
  6. Manta Ray with  a sting

Manta Ray with a sting

150mm square ,textured ,gold leaf .This was all turned no steaming or bending of the tail .Quite a challenge to turn up under the tail then turn out the bowl without wiping off the tail Comments welcome timberly@xtra.co.nz
  7. Manta ray with wings

Manta ray with wings

220mm square 250mm high Textured ,gold leaf airbrushed ,Ancient kauri Lacquer finish You are welcome to comment at timberly@xtra.co.nz sawg.org.nz
  8. Manta ray

Manta ray

Turned from Sapele Mahogany ,this piece measures 220mm square and is hollow to 2 mm on the wings as well asthe vessels body ,finished with Lacquer and sittin on 3 feet a signature with all of my work Email timberly@xtra.co.nz www.Sawg.or.nz (( see gallery Terry Scott )
  9. Manta Ray Box

Manta Ray Box

Black Marie , Hollow right out to the wings 2mm thick 100mm square ,Danish oil 5 coats
  10. Thanks Ray

Thanks Ray

Thanks to Ray Key for teaching me how to make boxes. I took a seminar with Ray recently, what a great guy, and started making boxes for the first time, I think I'm doing ok thanks to Ray. African Blackwood with desert jasper cabochon. 2"d, 3"h lacquer and wax. All comments, tips...
Back