• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

practice

1. Ric Williams

Didn't realize that roughing bowls was such great practice!

The only turning I've been doing lately is roughing bowls from blanks I'd processed recently and, after or so 25 bowls, I seem to have hit a threshold. All of a sudden the tooling marks have all but disappeared, the wall thicknesses are getting more consistent on the first try, and the finish...
  2. John Torchick

Advice on drive center and usage

I have two drive centers that I have from my new lathe and my old lathe. These are the usual ones with the four spurs and the point in the center. I just finished turning to round a piece of cherry as practice with the skew and the roughing gouge. I'm a bit leery about taking a tool too close to...
Back