• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

parting tool

1. Marty Purselley

Parting and chatter tools

Donald Derry parting tool, Sorby parting tool, and chatter tool. All used but in good condition. $50 shipped.
  2. John Torchick

Square end for a lathe chuck?

My grandson and I had a project- screwdriver kit handle covered on another thread. Here is my question- I cut a piece of purple heart on the TS, 2x2x6. I didn't cut the ends on the TS with the miter. I marked the centers to turn to round. When I put the round piece flat into the SuperNova2...
  3. John Torchick

Honey dipper questions

Honey dipper is on the Honey Do list now. SWMBO got a small jar of honey from a friend. SWMBO asked if I could make a honey dipper. Now, the questions- best wood? I have access to wood dowels at Lowe's or wood at Woodcraft. What finish, if any? I do need a 1/8" parting tool. Maybe make...
  4. John Torchick

Turning between centers and tools

My grandson took a pen turning class at Woodcraft a few weeks ago. When we were working on a pen, he said that the instructor said to turn the ends of the blank to the proper diameter. OK, I thought about this yesterday while turning pens. I had a blank that I needed to salvage (see my thread...
  5. John Torchick

DIY parting tool

I'm kind of DIYer and was looking at making a parting tool. I obtained a piece of CRS that is 0.073 thick and about 2 inches in width, 10 inches in length.. Would this be too thin? I'm sure that this metal would have to be sharpened frequently but would like the "challenge" of making my own...
  6. John Torchick

Parting tool problem

I was shortening a piece on the lathe that is to be the body for a Christmas ornament. When I was presenting the tool, I saw that the wood on either side of the tool burned black. Means a lot of sanding. It is a 1/4 wide parting tool. Any suggestions as how to prevent this?
  7. Jamie Straw

Thin parting tool choice

I've heard nothing but rave reviews on the D-Way narrow parting tool. Pricey, though. Is there another "cat's meow" out there, or should I just bite the bullet? Dave's one of my favorite people, wish I didn't always have to consider $$.:(
  8. John Torchick

Chuck won't stay put!

I'm in the process of building a custom fly rod for my grandson. A rodbuilding site I frequent had a photo of a bamboo rod with a bamboo winding check, that is, the part that makes the transition from the cork grip to the rod blank itself. I decided to give it a try with a piece of caragana...
Back