• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

madrone

1. Butterfly Luminary - two views

Butterfly Luminary - two views

Another in my luminary butterfly series. Madrone, acrylic and ink. 4 inches diameter 6 inches high.
  2. No Stone Left Unturned

No Stone Left Unturned

This Arbutus tree was growing out of rock and was falling over so was taken down. When I first looked at the tree I saw a rock (circled in blue) and had an idea for that piece of wood. We harvested that stump into usable pieces for turning. This is the 2nd style of this vase I have turned. The...
  3. Arbutus Cowboy Hats

Arbutus Cowboy Hats

A couple of Arbutus Hats finished up this week. First time using wipe on poly I applied 4 coats but cant say I'm happy with the result. I normally use lacquer spray but wanted something a little more water resistant as these will be worn. Both are Size 7.75 and are 9 ounces
  4. Madrone Meadow Luminary view with internal LED

Madrone Meadow Luminary view with internal LED

Madrone Meadow Luminary. Four inches high by 4 inches diameter. I turned this madrone vessel to a thickness of 2 to 3 mm using end-grain orientation. The wood was very dry (about 7 percent moisture content). The artwork was composed using Adobe illustrator. Some of the colors are pigma...
  5. Madrone Meadow Luminary view with spotlight

Madrone Meadow Luminary view with spotlight

Madrone Meadow Luminary. Four inches high by 4 inches diameter. I turned this madrone vessel to a thickness of 2 to 3 mm using end-grain orientation. The wood was very dry (about 7 percent moisture content). The artwork was composed using Adobe illustrator. Some of the colors are pigma...
  6. Arbutus Root Burl with Rocks

Arbutus Root Burl with Rocks

This Arbutus Root Burl bowl measures 16" X 8" without the plinth. The arbutus (Madrone) in our area grows on the southern rocky outcrops and being a root burl we almost always encounter rocks. This bowl has 5 rocks in total, 2 are on the inside while 3 are on the outside. Any areas where there...
  7. Mindless Madrone smalls

Mindless Madrone smalls

Madrone pieces turned wet and dried in microwave. The dark Madrone bowl is 5 inches across and 3 inches deep. Colored with Madrone Juice. Front Madrone bowl is natural coloring and 3 inches across and 2.5 tall.
  8. Vessel

Vessel

It's crazy how Madrone burl would warp and crack in the open. Turned green with edge charring and some copper wiring.
  9. Vessel

Vessel

It's crazy how Madrone burl would warp and crack in the open. Turned green with edge charring and some copper wiring.
  10. Corazon

Corazon

Madrone root vessel, 4.75" x 3.25" finished with flaxseed oil (Turning of the Week, July 12, 2021)
  11. Steve Shulhan

wet sanding green wood platter; contamination problem

Hi all, I need some advice on how to remove what appears to be sandpaper grit stain from a once-turned, green wood platter. The platter was turned from green arbutus (Pacific madrone) that was cut a few months ago. I wet sanded it using waterproof silicon carbide sandpaper, frequently rinsed...
  12. Jamie Straw

Gloat on Jet 1221, and Question about boiling

I'm officially impressed with the Jet 1221. Maxed out the swing today with an 11.5" piece of soaking wet Madrone -- a test to see if I could, indeed, sell the 1236 that takes up twice as much room. Drum roll.........the answer is "Yes!" That little tiger did great. My question is: does one...
  13. Madrone Bowl

Madrone Bowl

Madrone Root burl top view
  14. Madrone Bowl

Madrone Bowl

Madrone Root burl bowl bottom view
  15. Summer 2008 Contest

Summer 2008 Contest

This is an F# five holed native American flute made from Madrone root burl injected with blue dye. This flute plays and sounds well, besides being a fine piece of highly figured wood.
  16. Madrone burl vessel

Madrone burl vessel

6"x9" Madrone burl vessel with lacquer finish.
  17. Madrone sphere

Madrone sphere

6" Madrone burl sphere
  18. Burned-out

Burned-out

Madrone, 5d x 4.25t I finished this little piece back in October. I guess it goes with that season and how I was feeling about the start of the hollidays.
  19. Madrone Ornament

Madrone Ornament

Globe Christmas Ornament made from Madrone Burl and African Blackwood. Finished with Lacquer and wax.
  20. Madrone and Glass Vessel

Madrone and Glass Vessel

Madrone burl with black lacquered maple foot. The lid is slumped glass with a brass finial. Turned from a green blank, this piece took many hours of thinking and planning before it ever saw the lathe. About 18 x 8.
Back